Short vid of a couple big trees

rbtree

Climbing Up
The walnut is amazing... while smaller than our state champ, which may be the 2nd largest in the world, it is an awesome tree. canopy spread is close to 135 feet, in all aspects, is out over four houses and six yards. Not far away, and across the Columbia River in Oregon is the worlds' largest Juglans Nigra. Here's my friends' story on it: http://ascendingthegiants.com/news/6/52/Black-Walnut.html

The sequoia could be as old as 140.... it dwarfs the biggie we cut down a few years ago.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X8UV3QH3k24?list=UUlOJwkqt8D_n53S2go6YY-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Where's that Sequoia Roger? That thing is weird. Can hardly even imagine a Walnut like that around here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both trees are in Ridgefield, a few miles north of Vancouver, and within four blocks of each other. I'm a few blocks from them right now, parked behind the library for the wi-fi. Back here for a bird and bluegrass festival. The local Audubon folks brought four captive birds, which I shot scads of images of, up close and personal-- a spotted owl, peregrine falcon, kestral, and turkey buzzard.

I was going to try to get some more images up of the PNW ISA TCC Master's Challenge, but haven't yet. Editing 1200 pics is a chore.. that was last weekend....
anyone wants to see them friend me on FB roger.barnett.96

Man, that walnut is a great tree!!!

I love the way it gives gravity the finger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's some images from that great weekend trip, as a slide show

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157647986685300/show

Two teasers:
15452738941_6b59f9cc22_o.jpg

That was an HDR image, processed in camera....one of many amazing Garry oak at the Wildlife Reserve.

Audubon Society brought four of their resident birds. Here's a peregrine falcon:
15446202502_c24380b35b_o.jpg

Back