Shocking!

That doesn't look fake at all. :roll:

Reading the story. I do understand how the climber could be unharmed.

Sorry, I don't understand electricity at all. Just by touching the limb to a line you get the juice jumping to it? I thought the line insulation prevented that.

Most Hi V lines aren't insulated.

As long as what touches the line isn't grounded (non conductive), no juice flows.

and thats a weather protector for the line, not insulation for you.

Sorry, I don't understand electricity at all. Just by touching the limb to a line you get the juice jumping to it? I thought the line insulation prevented that.

Jay, if you don't understand electricity, do not climb any tree near a electrical line please. The juice from a live line can jump, I forget how far but it can jump. A simple pin hole in the insulation can cause death.

Guys and gals, how far can the electricity jump?

Not sure how far it throws, but I know for a fact a pin hole in the 30A 480V lines running the arbors on the saws can make one HELL of a white flash!!!
Sounds like a shotgun going off when they blow!!

Thanks for clarifying. It must be a different arrangement over here, as I was told that you have to touch two lines at the same time to get in possible harm's way....? What voltage classifies as high voltage?

Cautions well taken, V. They say stay away by two meters here.

not as far as you may think. it can track far that depins on the load. if that is a 7200 v line i would think that the limb was on the line as soon as he started to pull it away and it is tracking (eyanizing) the air to hold the path to ground.

You explode.
No seriously it depends on alot of things, personally i hate working near buzzing tranmission line because once i turned down a job and another fellow did it but got both his arms blown off .
He lived:O

Yes ,it has to do with the laws of natural selection.

thats it! load (the heat it can make)can make a line expand an contracted. no use to have insulation. plus if it hits the ground you wont it to blow the fuse.

When we're working near lines, which is often, as all lines are above ground, we call the utilities company a couple days ahead, and they come out and slip a heavy vinyl like cover over the lines. It's a free service. They are now stringing fiber optic cables on the poles. if you break one of those, the charge is $10.000.00, plus any amount due to lost revenue for someone who was on-line and was inconvenienced. That's really the truth, though I didn't believe it when I heard it at first, and made subsequent enquiries.

Back