Shocking!

Here's one I've seen played at several EHAP's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1snQAh8a0

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KM1snQAh8a0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KM1snQAh8a0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a booklet which covers all the safety stuff for working in trees near electrical wires. It is called "PREVENTING ELECTROCUTION Pocket Guide" (link below) by TCIA (Tree Care Industry Association).

Basically assume *all* electric wires carry a fatal voltage including telephone, cable TV, and powered-down fallen lines (a home generator can back feed these lines and this has killed workers in the past!).

Stay 10 ft. away from all lines minimum. In some cases of very high voltage lines, up to 35 feet away!

Trees are a conductor of electricity. You can be zapped by touching a wire with your hand and the tree with the other hand. Basically if a path exists including tree limbs/trunk from one wire to ground or between two wires.

If tree work needs to be done within 10 ft. of any electrical line, call the electric company.

PREVENTING ELECTROCUTION Pocket Guide...
http://secure.tcia.org/store/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductCode=PGORANGE

For some of us, the "stay away, go home and call the guys who know what they're doing to do the job" reply doesn't cut it. That's the stock answer for rookies and mediocre climbers who can't (or won't) learn how to work around dangerous obstacles. It's a good reply for the idiots posting over on arborsite.
Yes, electricity is dangerous. No shit, Sherlock. But somebody has to do the job and repeating the general warnings that the power company prints on stickers isn't going to help most of the members on this forum.

I've had some training on working around power over the years, and a bit of experience as well. I'm no electrical expert but I can work around it relatively safely. Closer than 35' anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trimming power lines was the first ten years of my career, and that was back when the only qualification necessary was just a warm body willing to work. I was in a bucket the first day, but I knew the "foreman."

maybe the 'climber' will realize how close he was to tapping out when he sees the picture(by the way the color of the arc is ?????) and make adjustments in his way of doing things. but somebody was shining on him

Really, the videos shouldn't be used to scare one away, merely to show what CAN happen if you don't get it right.

Use your head and know what you're working with and you'll be fine.

Myself, I've only been bitten once... and it was ultimately my fault. 480 3 phase packs quite a whallop. Needless to say, I padlock as well as tag stuff out now!

I've been bitten at least a dozen times, way back in the day. I was a lucky mofo.

Enlarge the pic it looks like the bar of his saw is in the path.

Have to say it doesnt look real.
Most of the flashes I have seen have been the same as Bucth & Jerry describe.

I have to agree with Brian also about working around lines.
Some time ago I posted pics of a saw that while hanging on my saddle, made contact with the service going to the house.

It was said that was an example of why we should'nt work around power. Crap I cut my own face with a saw. Can one deduce from that I am not professional? Or should have called some one else to do the job? It was a freak accident
We need to understand accidents happen & if you choose to work around power, educate yourself. If not, there are plently of trees needing work that are not any where near power.

I've been bitten at least a dozen times, way back in the day. I was a lucky mofo.[/ u either watch somebody make the mess or u make it urself and the old man said if u gonna be dumb u got to be tough and the older i get the more i like to watch

If any of the peanut gallery wants to do five minutes of homework you can call the homeowner who took the pictures. :lol:

Then there's no reason to believe what I found out by talking with them and the tree company owner.:O

...I've had some training on working around power over the years, and a bit of experience as well. I'm no electrical expert but I can work around it relatively safely. Closer than 35' anyway.

That booklet says those trained to work around electric lines (line-clearance arborists), can be within distances ranging from 2 ft. to 33 ft. depending on the voltage of the line.

(I did not write that booklet, I'm just saying what it says.)

If any of the peanut gallery wants to do five minutes of homework you can call the homeowner who took the pictures. :lol:

As an official accredited member of the 'peanut gallery', it is easier to have you do the homework than me. :D

It does seem funny that the picture was pulled from the newspaper, and I am curious as to the results of all your calls Tom. :thumbup:

As a paying memeber of the peanut gallery I to wish to know what you found out.

Ive seen quite a few trees in the lines, ect... Its always blue or white. Never orange... Usually it is a big flash..

Why would the paper yank the pic? I noticed that when I followed the link. Then the pic showed up here.

I don't know. It just doesn't look like the kind of arc I'm used to seeing in a tree/electrical fire. But stranger things have happened.

In studying that picture again, I noticed that there appears to be a small strap of wood sticking up on the left side of the cut, just above the climber's head. It seems to me that the arc would have jumped to that piece, since its the closest point, rather than down to the top of the trunk. I think the spark, though it may have actually happened, was not caught on film but added afterward in photoshop. :what:

And if that were me and I saw sparks jumping in front of me like that, I'd be getting my face out of there, rather than just staring at it. But maybe that's just me. :/:

A power station caught fire near my house, and the fireworks drew quite a crowd. The firemen were going ballistic on the crowd 'cause it had rained earlier in the evening & everything was wet. They said the electricity could arc through the ground for over a hundred feet ???
I think EHAP is a very good awareness program (have taken it), but I'd be out of business if I had to maintain the clearances outlined. House drops are the big one for me to watch for, and it's always the first thing I ask the newbies : "What's overhead ?"

Of course! I mean, nobody lies nowadays. It's always the truth.

Call them yourself...it only took me five minutes to find their number. Another five to have Google Streetview show me what the tree looked like.

The paper that published the picture is a weekly community newspaper. The gallery is cleared and not archived when the new paper comes out. No conspiracy here.

The discussion will continue here.

I fixed your wack "tiny URL" Why do you do that?

Quote it to see how I did it, maybe you'll learn something.

A comment was made in response to the article regarding whether the (tree) company was "licensed & insured".
Does a license exist for tree work ? It irks me when customers ask this. Licensed ???

Yes Theresa, a license exists. Here in LA you have to attend annual meetings and show proof of insurance to keep it up to date and current.

Back