Setting lines in Palms

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Here's a little vid of one of our climbers getting lucky and hitting a 90ft palm in 3 shots. A slight breeze can make this take quite some time!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FeX63YrP0U8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

love
nick

Nice shooting!

Those high shots are tuff, Ive got to hit 100ft to 130's all day long, can get very frustrating when u miss a lot...sometimes Im "One shot Scott," others times, well you know how it can go....:X

Whats the next step when he gets up to that head with the line in it? Work around it? Switch anchor position?use gaffs?

Damn that seems sketchy as hell,whats the backup safety if you touch the line with your saw?
Even a handsaw will slick right through climbing line,not to mention what a pita to do with just a handsaw,climb safe!!

Im not passing any kind of judgment just trying to understand ones reasoning,different strokes for different folks! thanks for the replies!

You'd be a real lucky sob if your flipline actually kept you from going down an already peeled palm,especially w/out gaffs. 90' up,thats gamble I wouldn't ask anyone to take.

So would you just not cut out the seedpod right by your line,since it's not being repositioned?

Like with two lifelines vs a flipline around the trunk and a lifline ?
I guess you just double wrap flipper so it would bight the trunk. Sorry for all da questions...lol

You'd be a real lucky sob if your flipline actually kept you from going down an already peeled palm,especially w/out gaffs.

I don't rely on luck. I rely on my lanyard skills.

My lanyard would stop me from going down an already peeled palm. :drink:

Yeah thats the obvious step lol,don't cut your rope! I have never cut any line aloft,rigging or life,but there are soo many guys doing it here in so cal its scary. Thats why i was grillin ya for details. I know a guy who is currently recovering from a fall due to cut lifline,nothing nice obviously.

My experience here in san diego,the palms get a gaff treatment if the boom can't reach,man pretty much all the damn time for all the people I've worked for the fans and dates get gaffed and the queens too once they break certain height,I don't advocate it but it's what happens. I respect you for your work practices,it should be that way period,everywhere ,every company that's advertising as an arborist/tree care should be implementing proper tree care .

When there's significant dead on is when i put my foot down!

I don't do a bunch of tall ones but when I do them I make a foot loop to stand in and lanyard in once I have a spot open to move my climb line I do so this allows for another area to be trimmed. You must be conscious of the back leg of your line regardless. Hope this helps explain.

%100 ,footloop is our only option to be secure on a spar/trunk without spurs as far as i know,they tend to hurt my feet if im actually doing a good amount of work with em though,and thats with my wesco's on. (Let me kno if there's something better!)

Back