Sequoia vs. New Tribe Onyx

sawslingrETW

TreeHouser
Need help. In the market for a new saddle. I have an ergovation right now and hate it. It sags too much on the smallest size. Want a sequoia or an onyx. I do 90% removals in Washington PNW so a lot of firs hemlocks and cedars. Which saddle holds a big saw the best? Dolmar 7910, 044, or 066 range saws. Thanks!!

I have neither one, so I'm not qualified to answer. But I will say that climbing on a saddle with optional suspenders installed makes a world of difference when hanging a saw! I'm using a MCRS with the suspenders. Used to climb on a 'leather diaper' without suspenders, or a way to easily attach a pair, and the current setup handles the extra weight on the belt way better.

I can't comment on the shoulder harness aspect but friends who have the Sequoia tend to use them for pruning and a beefier harness when doing take downs.

Never tried the other harness you mentioned.

Neither of those saddles is going to really take care of you with a saw like those hanging on it...but then, few will :). Suspenders are pretty much required, as noted above.

Both are fine saddles, and since it's so personal how one or another saddle suits each individual, I'd advise you to try both out first, somehow. I agree with Rich, the Sequoia, which I use myself, is too light for what you propose, generally. I use a New Tribe ProGear for heavier work, but that's stouter than the Onyx, I believe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the input guys! After much research and asking of colleagues, I am leaning more towards a stein vega since they can go down to a size 27. I'm a 28.5 so I am going to borrow one soon to see! And I will take your advice and I'll just use a new tribe set to support that one side.

Fwiw I'm probably the smallest climber here, just got the sequoia SRT size 1. It cinches down pretty small, enough where I don' feel like I'm going to fall out of it. I wear it with shoulder straps now, even better.

Back