Screw locking 'biners

• Thread starter cutitup
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 6K
Legality has nothing to do with it Brian. ANSI standards are giudelines. Companies can adopt them as policy, but they are not labor safety laws.

may not be JUST guidelines for long, but I am really skeptical that an OSHA inspector is going to notice a climber up in a tree is using a screwgate biner. ...a fall harness in a bucket is way easier to spot, and with buckets crossing so many industries, it's pretty 'duh' for an inspector.

I should say I would ride triple lock if I can. The hitch on that biner moves around a lot. Screw gates are plenty strong but sometimes you just don't wanna worry. It not an OSHA thing dudes.....it's about not dying.

Screwlock on my chainsaw lanyard, I have a couple aluminium screwlocks for light rigging, everything else is auto lock, steel for rigging, alum. for climbing, except a safety snap on the lanyard.
I even have one of those quad locks, bought it as an oddity, but use it on my lanyard, where I don't have to undo it very often...

We don't have ANY rules, so whatever flosts yer boat...or keeps you safe in de trees!

Check this guy...

Attachments

• DSC_6119.JPG
    DSC_6119.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 9
I have numerous screwlocks scattered through my rigging gear along with a few nonlockers. My primary climbing 'biners are triple locks (and a quad on a lanyard) but I have 2 climbing applications where I use screwlocks. One is used when I utilize SRT with the line anchored at the base of the tree. I use a sling, a nice screwlocking 'biner and a figure 8 to secure the tail of the line.(The line is locked and tied off on the 8.) I do that because it is easy and effective and , since I work alone if I ever were to need rescued it would likely be some fireman lowering me out and eights are familiar territory for more of those guys than Grigris, Eddies, I'ds etc.
The other place I use screw locks is on my "travel" saddle-The gear on the pickup that only gets used occasionally. There are triplelocks for my pimary tie in but a little Positron screwlock rides on that saddle if I should decide to double crotch. It is amazingly easy to remain aware of the screwlock when using that different harness on the few occassions when I use it.

OSHA is cordially invited, yeah even encouraged, to go away and commit unspeakable acts upon itself.

First time I ever climbed, I had a twisted (unscrewed) screw gate biner come off my saddle. Nearly fell 40ft... Been using the tri-locks ever since 8).

jp:D

I lost my flipline once because a screw lock gate came open. Luckily I was dangling from my rope at the time. I only use the 3 stage type now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, ya all made up my mind they go in the rigging box not the climbing one! Thanks!

IMO, if OSHA is so all-fired concerned for my safety, they should foot the bill for all the safety equipment I might need. I don't think it's any more their business what I use in my work than it's the state troopers' business whether or not I wear my seatbelt. Who died and left them king anyway? Too much power has been usurped by the government in all areas of our lives. Everyone should work safely, within their own capabilities (which DO vary widely). If one wants to climb on screw-lock 'biners, more power to 'ya!

screw lockers muct be able to fly

I personally have witnessed three climbers eat dirt for over 40 feet with the screw lock caribiners...Nope I wont alllow my climbers to use them.One tried to sneak one in receintly and it was adios and a long walk back form the mountain.I will allow them on a lanyard only if your tied in along with it.

Attachments

• ponderosa crane.jpg
    ponderosa crane.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 46
Back