saw gas deteriorating

Paul Buikema

Treehouser
I pulled my MS260 out of my storage locker yesterday, took 6 pulls with the decomp button down to get it to sputter and one more to get it running. I haven't touched that saw in at least 5 years. Seems that shouldn't have been so easy by all the tales I hear from folk about fuel stabilizer and Aspen fuel.

Thoughts?

It's my belief in BC we are blessed with high quality fuel. I have never had an issue with anything from sitting myself. Just lucky too maybe?

Yeah, the aspen advocates will tell you that shouldn’t happen.

I’ve never left a saw that long, perhaps it’s the quality of the oil?

Interesting.

Parts counter guys say the oils have all these additives in them, would be interesting to find out exactly what's in them.

I had one sit for at least a good 10-15 years full of gas and fire up. I thought there'd be no way, so I start it on starting fluid. It fired up, and kept running. It was my dad's old saw.

Oh hell! Great topic!
Here in enlightened California, our gas is crap after about two weeks. Seriously. If I leave a saw with gas in it for a week, it won't run.
Even the saw shops say to buy their 8$ gallon premixed fuel.

6 wks max in a metal gas can for pump-gas/mix ... with canned fuel like STIHL moto-mix ,longer but more expensive ...

I didnt check the tank but I think it is about half full and yes, it has sat for at least 5 years.

Always run stuff dry before storage.
Never attempt to start on old fuel. Dump that shit out. Preferably on some noxious plant or wasp nest lol

On a modern state-of the art strato-charged saw like a 462c or 572xp one should consider fuel freshness / mix oil carefully if you desire a long service life .. especially if hot-rodded ... Nasty fuel can do nasty things to many chainsaw components and potentially cost you considerably more aggravation and $$$ over the long haul :readit:

Yup, thx for correction

No, Darren only sells Stihl premixed. Heard a rumor of cloverdale airport selling it, but have not confirmed

From www.pure-gas.org

Can you really buy leaded gas in CA?

Renner Petroleum - UNBRANDED
1313 S Cloverdale Blvd, Cloverdale CA
707-894-0776
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 92

GPS coordinates: N 38.78231 W 123.01062 (entered by Randy W)
Updated by Paul, May 01, 2019 11:00 CDT

Only open M-F 7:30-5:00.
Updated by scott, April 25, 2019 4:01 CDT

Old address was incorrect
Updated by Chet, April 24, 2019 9:31 CDT

Nice place, they also have race fuel. They have to pump it for you, into containers only, and you have to sign a few papers saying you won't put it in your car. $5.80 a gallon as of mid April 2019.
Updated by Paul, October 06, 2018 18:15 CDT
110 at the pump is leaded.
Updated by bob, March 25, 2017 7:29 CDT
abbrev
Updated by Randy W, March 08, 2017 17:17 CST

They Just moved across the highway. They now have 110 and 92 at the pump. The fuel cannot be dispensed into a vehicle, it must be dispensed into a gas can.

Updated by KJ, January 14, 2016 18:48 CST
Last week picked up a 55 gal. drum for our boat (4 stroke outboards). 12.50 non-refundable drum cleaning fee, 25.00 deposit on the drum, 4.39/gallon for the fuel. If you re-use the drum there is no reoccurring cleaning fee. Thanks Renner Petroleum!!!!
Updated by Richard DeHaven, May 26, 2015 19:55 CDT
Picked up another 110-gal load of 92 octane Pure, today, May 26, 2015 for my airplane. Great folks--but be careful of their leaking hand-pump.
Updated by wesley, May 19, 2015 6:51 CDT
correct state
Updated by judy schindler, April 18, 2015 21:56 CDT
Tom informed us that no motor VEHICLES can use pure has. Only small engine use is allowed. So those of us using pure gas in our motorhome because E10 ruined our generators are out of luck in the State of California.
Updated by Richard DeHaven, April 03, 2015 17:22 CDT
Picked up 110 gal (2 barrels) 92 octane, today, 4/3/2015 for my airplane. Nicest groups of folks on the planet!
Updated by carl, January 10, 2015 5:38 CST
addr
Posted by Tom Jones, January 09, 2015 17:03 CST
Friendly people right next to Hwy 101closest to San Francisco Bay Area

Bummed about my source of ethanol free 89. All 31 Noco stores/ gas stations in the area got bought, and new owners ain’t doing ethanol free. It was so convenient, there was always one close by.
Found a gas station on the local Indian reservation that has ethanol free 91, but some of the spots on the rez have had complaints about water content in the fuel and complaints about fuel not being metered out correctly, meaning paying for a gallon and getting around .9 gallons. That was years ago but still think I’ll be buying premixed soon. These days my saws go weeks and months without being run.

I’ve used fuel that was probably sitting in the can for 9 months, no problem.

I know you’re all about the marathon and not the sprint, this stuff is much better for your health long term (apparently)

I’m surprised you can’t get it shipped.

I'm going to look into it more. I didn't realize that its available in 5 gallon and 55 gallon drums. Thanks, Mick.

I tried a Husky battery saw for some purposes, but it crapped out twice on me. First time was the battery or the charger being defective. $300 big-box store Husky. Sitting on the shelf, currently. The Husky top handles didn't handle the rain well, at one point.

Back