Samthane Coating

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 4K
R

RIVERRAT

Have any of you used Stable Braid with out the coating? Seems to me it might not be as durable. Just recieved 150' of it. I will make use of it regardless.

I think I've seen it used in slings. I would guess as long as it doesn't run though a false crotch it should be cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My thoughts also....wait a minute I meen I will use it in a false crotch

You sure it isn't coated? The coating can be white.

I have some that isn't coated, although I don't use it in tree work.

There's nothing wrong with using it in a FALSE crotch, natural crotches will abrade the rope.

Carl, this is Stable Braid marine rigging line in 5/8ths.
It is white. But the threads on the cover are much softer. It deffinently has a different feel.

This rope came from the ebay rope guy. It is just what he says it was. I am not unhappy about it at all. Not for what I paid for it.....Carl just a sec Ill get you a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2787.JPG
    IMG_2787.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 17
Yeah, I have some uncoated from him, but I've also came across coated that didn't look much different than uncoated aside from the feel.

I doubtith not :)

There's nothing wrong with using it in a FALSE crotch, natural crotches will abrade the rope.

Carl I miss read Jman's post. I think it will work just fine with a block or "FALSE" crotch as some call it.

I use non treated Samson double braid exclusively, never had a wear problem at all. I only run my rigging thru pulleys or blocks , so the extra 10-15 bucks isn't worth it to me. I purchase the treated line for the crew cause I know they don't always follow protocol. There is nothing wrong at all using the standard line.

Thanks Wiley. I dont like spending gobs of money on line all the time. So I make use of a block.

I have some 3 strand that I run with out blocks. Stuff works well for that.

Same, I prefer coated, byt have some uncoated. It does have a soft feel. This is PSRopes product (I know, I know, wiley...it's junk). Even their coated lines are softer than Samsons, as their coating isn't as stiff....may wear off quicker...dunno, it works fine....

Ya'll should contact my supplier. His prices are way better than the ebay guy's....usually, it seems. PM me.....

Seems like my 9/16" stable braid isn't coated, it's pretty soft. I only use it with a block.
If you want tough, try NE Ropes Super Braid. I use a 1/2" x 200' as my #1 rigging line.

It won't matter as long as you use it with a block. It's pretty amazing how fast it gets destroyed by natural crotch rigging though.

I seriously dislike Super Braid from Wall Rope.

As far as I know, NER doesn't make a product by the name of "Super Braid."

You make a good point, no reference to it on the NE site. If you look at Sherrills, either website or catalog, you'll find it under rigging ropes.

It's a coated, two carrier, double braid. It's stiff, doesn't make pretty knots but they hold great. You can natural crotch all day with it and it won't pick or glaze.
I bought a 200' spool at TCIA from Sherrills; it was in a sealed New England box on a New England Spool. I wonder if its a Sherrills exclusive kinda like PI.

My old employer purchased some Arbor-Plex(?) years back and it didn't seem to have the coating we had been accustomed to. Needless to say, the rope did encounter a few bites with the chainsaw and was reduced to false hitching on sappy pines. Glazed and sticky is what I remember of that old line...

What I had meant was to not run it though any natural crotches and you should be fine (thats what having a few beers and posting will do to ya). Even using it as a friction saver or a sling would work too. You could always make use of a gallon of maxi jacket if you felt spunky. :P

You make a good point, no reference to it on the NE site. If you look at Sherrills, either website or catalog, you'll find it under rigging ropes.

It's a coated, two carrier, double braid. It's stiff, doesn't make pretty knots but they hold great. You can natural crotch all day with it and it won't pick or glaze.
I bought a 200' spool at TCIA from Sherrills; it was in a sealed New England box on a New England Spool. I wonder if its a Sherrills exclusive kinda like PI.

From my findings, the stiffness leads to some pretty heavy reduction in the strength of the rope, putting it slightly weaker than Saftey Pro 12, or around 6klbs of strength in a bowline.

From my findings, the stiffness leads to some pretty heavy reduction in the strength of the rope, putting it slightly weaker than Saftey Pro 12, or around 6klbs of strength in a bowline.

Could be, but when I have something heavy to rig I use the Stable braid and a block.

Carl, I thought Wall Rope went out of business?

What I had meant was to not run it though any natural crotches and you should be fine (thats what having a few beers and posting will do to ya). Even using it as a friction saver or a sling would work too. You could always make use of a gallon of maxi jacket if you felt spunky. :P

I think we all knew what you meant Jman. No worries:)

Carl, I thought Wall Rope went out of business?

Wall was bought out by Yale Cordage.

I prefer coated ropes. They last longer.

There is clear coating, too. Maybe your rope has that? You'd be able to feel it. Or if you cut off an inch of rope, the cover strands fluff up easy if it is NOT coated.

love
nick

Wall was bought out by Yale Cordage.

You'd be able to feel it. Or if you cut off an inch of rope, the cover strands fluff up easy if it is NOT coated.

love
nick
Yup, pretty sure its not coated.

I prefer the coated as well. It also handles the abrasion of the rope tied around the nuggest better.

When I first got started, my heavier ropes were uncoated off brand jobbers. Now, coated is the way I roll :)

Back