Saddle Questions

Gauge

TreeHouser
Hey all I am still fairly new to the arborist part of tree climbing but have experience with harnesses. I am currently in a weaver cougar and I do not like it at all. I have adjusted it every way I know, lengthened this, loosened that and it still isn't comfy for me. The problem is it feels like it is constantly cutting into the back of my legs when I'm in the saddle under weight. I way over 200 lbs and have a 34-35" waste fyi. I have been looking at the New Tribe pro saddle and the Buckingham rebellion. I have also looked at the Tree Motion and Tree Austria saddles. I like the look of the Nikosi but it has been dc'd. What are your thoughts while knowing I do not like the cougar.

New tribe offers the widest pads. I would look at the Onyx if you are doing pro work rather than rec climbing.

Or hang tight the Size 2 Matt Cornell Rope Saddle will be out soon and its got some big ass pads on it.

New tribe offers the widest pads. I would look at the Onyx if you are doing pro work rather than rec climbing.

Or hang tight the Size 2 Matt Cornell Rope Saddle will be out soon and its got some big ass pads on it.

I hope I can make it down sometime in the next week and buy a tree motion at the store. Im in Chicago so I just need to make time for the 2 hour drive! Stoked tonsay the least.

Saddles are such a personal thing. What works well for one person might not suit someone else.
...So True , once you get one you like dialed proceed to work in comfort. Been using my old Buck leg saddle for roof shoveling and I sure do hate the way the leg straps creep down out of position when working. Treated myself to a Puma when they first came out which completely solves the problem.

What Butch says in indisputable, but having said that, I have found that the NT ProGear seldom doesn't work quite comfortably for nearly every body type, and is relatively inexpensive as well as providing years of heavy use. I still have one, and it's been a great saddle for many a year.

I am also a fan of the Petzl Sequoia, not quite as comfy perhaps, but very good on that account. Been riding mine for a goodly time. I don't think it'll give the same longevity as the ProGear, but it's holding up pretty well.

Get the Nikosi if you like the looks of it. It's on super sale from treestuff right now. I'm 250 lbs myself and I like the Nikosi much better than any other saddle that I have tried.... Including the Onyx. New Tribe will always help you out with replacement parts even if it's discontinued. I just replaced the bridge on my and it was something like $15 shipped. They'll definitely treat you good.

No better outfit to work with, in my experience. If you don't like something about one of their standard offerings, they will custom fab for you, and be happy to do it. Good people, indeed.

What Butch says in indisputable, but having said that, I have found that the NT ProGear seldom doesn't work quite comfortably for nearly every body type, and is relatively inexpensive as well as providing years of heavy use. I still have one, and it's been a great saddle for many a year.

I am also a fan of the Petzl Sequoia, not quite as comfy perhaps, but very good on that account. Been riding mine for a goodly time. I don't think it'll give the same longevity as the ProGear, but it's holding up pretty well.

I use the Petzl for rock climbing, seems like good quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Roger that all and thanks. I like the looks of the Nikosi but the only sizes left are big and real big from what I can find LOL. I like the look of the NT PG saddle but it has a fixed bridge and I like a sliding or rope bridge for the LW's. I live in East TN and do not have any good place to actually sit in one so that's why I am going to work with Tree Stuff I think. I may hold out for the rope saddle or take a hard look at the Buck Rebellion saddle.

And Raj I have the Cougar.

Thanks for all the advice crew, it is appreciated. I am taking a hard look at the Buck rebellion right now. If I can save up some scratch I will 99.9% prob get the Onyx.

Be aware if you try it out and don't like it, you can always send it back as long as it isn't worn/damaged in any way. :drink:

The padding is similar but the rigging is very different it seems. I will prob just hold out and grab the Onyx unless I can sit in the Rebellion.

I'm just throwing out an idea, leg pad assemblies can be ordered separately and attached to the cougar. I use the new style Cougar saddle and put a large size Buckingham webbing bridge on it, and have the Buckingham rigging plate rope bridge assembly from the ergovation.....gonna' try that soon.

I would love to try some NT leg pads LOL. I am not the biggest climber I'm sure but at 6'1 220 i am caring some weight in the tree and the pads in the legs just can't cope imo. I really like the look of the NT saddles and the Tree Austria saddles because of their leg pads. I like the TM saddles too but they look like they may have a lot of hard plastic on them or something and they are very expensive.

Well I made up my mind, I am going with New tribe. I am either going to snag a Pro or a Nikosi. I am strapped for funds right now (just like most people lol) the son moved back in with his fiancee and she's pregnant so wife said no more money for a while. So as soon as I can grab one I am on it. In the mean time I guess I will just have to bear the crotch destruction from the Cougar lol. Thanks for all your input guys.

I was not impressed with the Nikosi, myself. Though I climbed in the first version, maybe the revised model is better. There is a long thread regarding the Nikosi here...many reviews.

Back