Rope Treadmill

NickfromWI

King of Splices
Wife and I set this up so I could practice long ascents on a 40ft TIP.

It's a RING/ring friction saver at the top, base anchor with a rappel rack and 300ft of Kernmaster. Easy to set up!

http://youtu.be/e9JWlDR8ul8

love
nick

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e9JWlDR8ul8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is slick!:thumbup: Gear sure has come a long way since I was working with trees. Hip thrusting and foot locking was the deal back then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mb you're right. I went to the park thinking I'd do the 300' hank 3-4 times. Aiming for 1,000 ft. I tuckered myself out after the first hank!

I'll get back up there. Karina got really good at paying out the rope to match my pace. I think she was intentionally letting it out faster to make me work harder!

love
nick

Treading air. Pretty cool Nick. I watched it first without reading, and for an instant was like, what in the world, are his ascenders are slipping or has his anchor has come loose???!!!!

Wha!!!! No endless loop splice?

I'm working on it! Dang...you guys with your expectations!

I've been experimenting with a long smoothly tapered end-to-end splice that can be made a 100ft loop....but Kernmaster doesn't want this to happen, so it's gonna take some...rule breaking! (which I don't mind doing)

One part that I haven't figured out in my mind is how to attach the loop to a pulley that is installed in the tree without me having to climb up there and set it up. I think it'll involve remotely installing a girth-hitched sling around the limb...

Treading air. Pretty cool Nick. I watched it first without reading, and for an instant was like, what in the world, are his ascenders are slipping or has his anchor has come loose???!!!!

Hahahahaaa!!! No shit! I'd be all like WTF???

I'm working on it! Dang...you guys with your expectations!

I've been experimenting with a long smoothly tapered end-to-end splice that can be made a 100ft loop....but Kernmaster doesn't want this to happen, so it's gonna take some...rule breaking! (which I don't mind doing)

One part that I haven't figured out in my mind is how to attach the loop to a pulley that is installed in the tree without me having to climb up there and set it up. I think it'll involve remotely installing a girth-hitched sling around the limb...

thats the easy part ! base tie a pulley

Then that's ANOTHER rope I gotta haul out. I think this whole setup could be super streamlined to fit in a tiny bag.

That was cool. My wife is to clumsy to trust belaying me though.

For what it's worth, I think if you let go of the rope, there's enough friction in the rappel rack that you'd get lowered at a non-injurious speed. I THINK...

"Static, retrieval false crotch"... Art and science of practical rigging. Some name like that.

Mb you're right. I went to the park thinking I'd do the 300' hank 3-4 times. Aiming for 1,000 ft. I tuckered myself out after the first hank!

I'll get back up there. Karina got really good at paying out the rope to match my pace. I think she was intentionally letting it out faster to make me work harder!

love
nick

300 Ft ! that's a Redwood. I can go about 75ft at a time before I'm sucking air and have to rest.

I don't think it is quite equivalent. Its like those old Versaclimber exercise machines. A portion of your mass is sorta staying stationary, I think.

Unless he touches the ground, it's the same. His climbing effort is converted to heat (mainly) at the pulley and friction devise.

Thanks guys. I wanna build up my stamina and endurance to where I can do 1,000 ft non stop.

"Static, retrieval false crotch"... Art and science of practical rigging. Some name like that.

But that still involves 50ft of rope. I wonder if I could do it with a round sling with a pinto pulley spliced into it and a long throwline permanently attached to it just for setup and retrieval.

love
nick

Where is that video?

That guy with the dreadlocks?

Footlocking a rope between two buildings...

He had to cut the rope when it got too heavy for him to footlock.

Back