Rope splices with metal thimbles

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Is there a problem with using metal thimbles on rope eye splices? I am talking about the kind of thimble that you would use in a tree cable or on a wire core lanyard.

I wonder if the metal edge could cut the rope? I decided to try splicing some StaSet with a metal thimble and it looks good but I have yet to use it. Thoughts.

You could just use one of these, as they are rated and designed for climbing.

Attachments

• dmm thimble.jpeg
    dmm thimble.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess my question was more of a general one.

The one that I made is for a Money Tail. I just remembered that I do use a metal thimble on my little prussic loops that I use in my lanyard and in the O system. I have been doing that for years without any problems.

And I would always make sure the metal thimbles fit the rope as best as possible.

I would inspect the thimble for sharp edges but they are use in the boating industry all the time and I don't see any issues.

Yeah, I confused myself too.

Simple question:is it cool to use metal thimbles on rope for life support?

I like your opinion Rajan. But what do I know, or else I wouldn't be asking.

Yep. I wish I had my gear home. Pics would really help. Maybe tomorrow I will take some so you will know what I am talking about.

I saw Ralph, the Bull Rigger, guy posted some pics on TB showing his lanyard with a metal thimble spliced in it. It got me motivated to post here and try to get a little more active on TH.

We used stainless steel thimbles on all our halyards on our boat... eight, 1/2" double braid eye splices, I did them all myself and was often winched to the top of a mast on those very splices/thimbles. They lasted for years, with sometimes sails set for almost a month at a time (yes, really...23 days to cross the Atlantic) and we never had a major problem.
As a safeguard, I would whip the throat of the eye splice and also put whipping on either side of the thimble's pointy end.
If I didn't get the eye splice really tight it could rotate a bit and the thimble start to dig in...but there were some pretty large forces on those splices, far more than you or I would place on them while climbing.

Thanks Bermy. That puts my mind at ease a bit. For some reason I thought those thimbles were only for wire.

Worst thread ever.

:lol:

I'll use metal ones. I'll file or sand any sharp edges. Especially those galvanized ones. They tend to have sharp bumps on them.

I would use something MEANT for rope- but if all that was available, I'd go for the ones you're talking about.

Here's how I am using them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360173388858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360173388858.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360173400440.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360173400440.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360173410527.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360173410527.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 44
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360173420053.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360173420053.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 44
Personally I do without the thimble, it just adds bulk to the lanyard, making it more likely to hang up or difficult to pass.

I think that is the best use for those. I like it because it's much easier to clip into one handed. I used to climb without one in he prussic and it obviously worked, but I do like this way better.

Also, with tech cord, I am not worried so much about the sharper edges, f the metal thimble because the cord is smaller and fits in the groove really nicely. The super tight weave is also nice.

That's true Nick. But going back to my original question.... Is it acceptable to use this type of thimble on rope. It seems like everyone agrees that it's fine, just not always necessary.

I wouldn't allow one of my co-workers to use it, only because it isn't designed or rated for the application. But in reality, is it dangerous? Probably not.

Back