Rope puller/Come along

Maasdam continuous rope puller. Within its limitations, its an awesome tool. Mine rode under the seat of ky truck for 2 years before I used it. I felt like a dope the first time I gave it a try and realized its usefulness. Get some soft 3 strand to go with it and you have a really practical, inexpensive tool.

I have a Massdam A20 continuous rope puller (or Powr Puller) as well as having used both 1 and 2 ton versions of the steel cable come alongs available at Home Depot.

No doubt the steel cable come alongs pack more punch but the Maasdam A20 is an excellent tool. I wouldnt go without mine and IF I broke it I would replace it immediately. Having the unlimited pull is valuable, also you can prest it with 40 or so ft of rope and a block which gives you 40' of pull or doubled 3000lbs pull for 20' (this is pretty slow, but it pulls without needing reset. The 3/4 ton A20 can be had on Amazon for <$40

http://www.amazon.com/Maasdam-PowR-A-20-Capacitty-Puller/dp/B00099FFOI

If capacity is your concern I like these comealongs by Lug All

@ $256 with a 2 ton this is a great model:
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Cabling-Tools/Cable-Hoist-by-Lug-All-2-ton-capacity_2

There is for $190 a 3/4ton model as well
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Cabling-Tools/Cable-Hoist-by-Lug-All-2-ton-capacity_2

The Lug All cable hoists easily go from single line to doubled line pull, have quality hardwear and really nice frame. They are also easy to disengage/lower as well as the way the cable is attached to the drum you can use the whole line no problem.

Here is a Wyeth I have never tried but have wanted to try, $275 at 3 tons pull. This model uses Amsteel which seems way better than cable.. The price is similar to the other high end models but the WL is the highest.
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=197&item=1856

There is also a $170 2 ton model
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=197&item=1888

I guess I should have added... The cheaper come alongs form Home Cheapo will ge the job done in most cases, but the quality just isnt there. When I have cables and ropes pulling in the thousand of pounds it is comforting to see the solid frames of the Lug All models or what the Wyeth seems to deliver. The cheaper ones just dont seem to last, store the cable as well, release as easy etc.

With both the Lug all and the A20 Maasdam you can 'bounce' the load off the spool dropping it a notch at a time by slamming the handle backwards.

If you think that you might want two tons of pull, I'd get the continuous rope one and hang a pulley up in the tree, at least you'll get a ton and a half. It's a great tool. I also have the two ton Wyeth, which I used a lot before getting the Masdam. It's a reliable tool. For a cable puller, I do believe that a continuous line one is the way to go by far. I don't own one, but buds all have them, and they are an awesome device with different capacities available. We have discussed them here a fair bit, recently Stig posted on the one he uses. On the pricey side, however.

They make a continuous cable puller Jay?

The Maasdam A20 is a GREAT tool, but when approaching the upper limits you may not want it to 'slip' which it can do, the fixed length jobs that wrap around a drum/spool dont slip at all in my experience.

There is a method I use with the A20 to prevent slippage, I will clip a biner around both strands of rope, entering and exiting, then pull the exit strand 180 degrees against the biner and have someone tend it while I cranks. This gives you a little added measure against holding it against slippage and really cranking out everything it has.

Thanks for the heads up.. I dont know how suited those would be to what I do but they are cool for sure. If I could get one for free I would use it to tighten my zip line (rec - steel cable)... as it is I use a 5mm prussick with the Maasdam A20 and then a prewrap form the cabling gear to secure it.

I have a Massdam A20 continuous rope puller (or Powr Puller) as well as having used both 1 and 2 ton versions of the steel cable come alongs available at Home Depot.

No doubt the steel cable come alongs pack more punch but the Maasdam A20 is an excellent tool. I wouldnt go without mine and IF I broke it I would replace it immediately. Having the unlimited pull is valuable, also you can prest it with 40 or so ft of rope and a block which gives you 40' of pull or doubled 3000lbs pull for 20' (this is pretty slow, but it pulls without needing reset. The 3/4 ton A20 can be had on Amazon for <$40

http://www.amazon.com/Maasdam-PowR-A-20-Capacitty-Puller/dp/B00099FFOI

If capacity is your concern I like these comealongs by Lug All

@ $256 with a 2 ton this is a great model:

+1 on Nick's recommendations! I have both the first two he listed. I use often use the Massdam but rarely use the Lug-All. However, when it's needed it's great!!!

There's an incident that I should relate about what prompted buying the Lug-all. Several years ago, deep in the woods I was pulling the butt of a leaner with one of those 'cheaper' cable come-a-longs. A pin let go and the doubler puller flew past my ear so fast I could hear it whistle. The next day, I went out and bought the Lug-all. I paid half the current price ... kinda dates me, I guess. Sooo, FWIW don't buy cheap ... buy the best ... IMO, Lug-All.

That being said ... I never go on any job without my Maasdam kit bag: A20, 50' dedicated Treemaster with steel thimble spliced eye, Prusik, 1/2" Q-link, tree saver strap & 6T shackle.

:)

There's an incident that I should relate about what prompted buying the Lug-all. Several years ago, deep in the woods I was pulling the butt of a leaner with one of those 'cheaper' cable come-a-longs. A pin let go and the doubler puller flew past my ear so fast I could hear it whistle. The next day, I went out and bought the Lug-all. I paid half the current price ... kinda dates me, I guess. Sooo, FWIW don't buy cheap ... buy the best ... IMO, Lug-All.

Thats always been my fear.

That being said ... I never go on any job without my Maasdam kit bag: A20, 50' dedicated Treemaster with steel thimble spliced eye, Prusik, 1/2" Q-link, tree saver strap & 6T shackle.

I like your style.

Thanks for the heads up.. I dont know how suited those would be to what I do but they are cool for sure. If I could get one for free I would use it to tighten my zip line (rec - steel cable)... as it is I use a 5mm prussick with the Maasdam A20 and then a prewrap form the cabling gear to secure it.

Jay, I've coveted one of those Tirfor's for years. :cry:

Nick, I've got 250' of steel cable used for long speed lining. I use either the A20 or the Lug-All to pre-tenstion it with a Chicago Grip. ;)

41sGsyiUxeL._AA300_.jpg

Damn, those Chicago grips scare the heck out of me when pulling a tree, they can fall off when the tension is slackened..as I found out. I wrote about it here and got some good ideas. The gum taping it on is a good quick prevention.

I use a 5mm Maxim prussick on my 5/16" cable. Using a kleimheist, 4 or 5 wraps it holds tight as I have ever needed it. I have had to double the A20 up before so in excess of 1000lb for sure.

That would be the ticket if they don't kink the cable. The great thing about the endless line puller is that you don't need a grip, and the pull is slow and steady in measured increments. I like the gearing on the Tirfors, a pleasure to use.

Jack, I think this was recently discussed, but how do you employ the prusik in your system?
I don't need the Prusik very often. Most of the time I'll just use the 1/2" Q-link to an alpine butterfly on the pull line. However, as an example, a couple of years ago I had to pull a hung-up stem through the crowns of several other trees. I needed more than 50' of pull and my pull line was not 3-strand. So, I couldn't use the endless capability of the A20. I used the Prusik to advance the A20 line along the pull line as the stem progressed through the over-story.

Damn, those Chicago grips scare the heck out of me when pulling a tree, they can fall off when the tension is slackened..as I found out. I wrote about it here and got some good ideas. The gum taping it on is a good quick prevention.
I only use the Chicago Grip when I pre-tenstion & hold a cable speed line. I prefer a bull line for most speed lines. But, a cable seems to work better for really long speed lines -- less catenary. I, also, prefer a bull line for pulling a tree ... never used a cable for pulling a tree.

A havens grip can add security if desired Jay. ...
The Havens Grip has the reputation of putting a slight crimp (stress) in a cable where the Chicago Grip does not.

That would be the ticket if they don't kink the cable. The great thing about the endless line puller is that you don't need a grip, and the pull is slow and steady in measured increments. I like the gearing on the Tirfors, a pleasure to use.
I'm jealous :P

Chicagos have different types of jaws. The type for our applications is the smooth jaw type that doesn't mar the cable or rope. Some have serrated jaws too, I guess the guys up on the electric towers like those.

I've also used hi vee in a maasdam MANY times. I back it up with a knot once I've got some pressure in the system. Never a problem, and I've put so much tension on the maasdam I bent the handle. It was a non critical situation, so don't throw rocks at me. 3 strand is perfect, but a well used 1/2" climb line will work as well.

I own 2 of them.. It's been well over 5 years since I used one, and that was only to load a broken stump grinder on the trailer. Worked well for that, but I don't even think about using them for falling.. depends on your equipment, topography and manpower.. Probably a good tool to have, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking for mine..

I do however see the usefulness in Burnham's big 12K winch on the front bumper of a pick up... gotta be nice when you need that kind of power!