Roof for homemade chip box...?

802climber

TreeHouser
This might sound stupid, but I've looked all over the place for something that comes in 4'x8' sheets that I can use to cover the roof on this thing. If I ever find such a product, I will also buy a couple sheets to screw to the floor so the chips dump out better.

I am looking for aluminum, galvanized, plastic, fiberglass, ETC.... I would like to avoid any corrugated roofing if possible, because then my truck would look like a chicken coop.

I was thinking of trying to find a sheet metal shop, and getting some sheets of aluminum cut?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

chiptruck.jpg

I have just a mesh tarp on my chip truck and would not trade it for another. It is so sweet when you are on a crane job and have just a couple more pieces of wood to finish and you can just peel back the tarp in 30 seconds and load it. All the roof does is catch chips, tarp does it well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have just a mesh tarp on my chip truck and would not trade it for another. It is so sweet when you are on a crane job and have just a couple more pieces of wood to finish and you can just peel back the tarp in 30 seconds and load it. All the roof does is catch chips, tarp does it well.

Yeah, that's a good point. I couldn't do it on mine because the roof (well the studs under the roof) holds the box together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya, I'm using plywood, see my pic. I am looking to find a proper covering, but with the high price of covering it with something, I might just run the plywood and replace it when it rots.........

Fab up some U shape (or rather n shaped) metal struts that would hold the tops together that could be inserted in the pockets of the stake sides and support the tarp and be easily removed... Ever want to use your truck for something other than chipping??

I suppose it depends on the chipper .The few guys I know that tried plain old plywood found out the chips will eat through it in a very short while . Steel barn roofing over plywood would be better and cheap ,corregated stuff .

Yup, also practical when you want to load trees for planting, loading the mini, loading with a tractor, moving a friends couch directly from the second story balcony, etc, etc.

chip box

My biggest contributer to down time was dumping. So I ,built a box on my F800 dump truck 12'9" so I can fit all I can. Just used plywood and 4x4 painted for weather protection. sturdy box lasted me 5yrs so far
IMG_1098.jpg only built box half way so I can still load w/ bobcat if neede

Fab up some U shape (or rather n shaped) metal struts that would hold the tops together that could be inserted in the pockets of the stake sides and support the tarp and be easily removed... Ever want to use your truck for something other than chipping??

:thumbup:
Same here but will change my mesh for solid vinyl tarp because of rain snow and ice.
If it rains enough the weight increase in the chips can be enough to tip the scales or like
last year had to pick axe out the chips from the box

Back