Rivet Spinner

I got it setup just for convenience of needing a chain, go and make one kinda thing.

Thats why I started years ago making my own chain. Too many different length bars

Frans, Bailey's has a chain link count sticker you can put on your workbench. Or you can just put a nail in the end of the bench and mark off your common chain lengths.

I have the chart that was a waste of time to put down. I put the roll on a rod, pull the chain out past the breaker to a nail on the bench and punch it where it crosses the breaker

When spinning the rivet it is important not to use more pressure than needed and use oil to help keep the spinner heads shape a tad longer....
Pressure is needed to expand the rivet in the tiestrap, that is what holds really, not the rivets head.
The shape on the head is needed to be there so when rivet is done it cuts the extra metal of. This makes a nice rivet head that looks just like a pressed one.
I cut my own heads now to easier get that nice result as I have trouble finding good spinner heads right now here.

A thing or two to ponder...
Cut the rivet head of with a grinder before you put it in the puncher. Saves a lot on the puncher as well as on you.
Use nothing but lubricant to help spinn.
Oil the tools up well, and keep them clean so they last longer.
Use correct tool to the chain and rivet. Look on the results, when you have trouble finding it among the other rivets you are well on the way. When you can't find it with bare eye, you did good!

If it is set too tight, try to flex it a bit sideway's, if that don't help, do it again properly as it will not work other wice. It will not get lubricant to the rivet center and will overheat and possibly break. If not it will stay fixed and mess up bar sprocket and rim!

Chains can be peened ,not a big deal if you have the expertise .

A little ball peen hammer is all you need and a good eye . In addition I have some small punches I made on my lathe which work well . .I must have given half a dozen of them to people .

I learned to peen them, Took me awhile to figureout the spinner when I first bought it

If it is set too tight, try to flex it a bit sideway's, if that don't help, do it again properly as it will not work other wice. It will not get lubricant to the rivet center and will overheat and possibly break. If not it will stay fixed and mess up bar sprocket and rim!

The only time I've found a too tight rivet to bugger up anything, or cause the chain to break, was on a very narrow pointed nose bar, where the small radius stressed out the drive link connected to the tight rivet, and the chain broke there. They seem to usually loosen up quickly after a good spin around. That's been my experience, anyhow.

I just use the oil can and squirt the rivet head to be spun like Al was talking about.

I also learned DO NOT make up chains when you have drunkard yourself to blindness even though you think in your mind you can see :\: the next day when you go through the loops you made up you learn some of them have upside down pre-sets :O . :lol:

The only time I've found a too tight rivet to bugger up anything, or cause the chain to break, was on a very narrow pointed nose bar, where the small radius stressed out the drive link connected to the tight rivet, and the chain broke there. They seem to usually loosen up quickly after a good spin around. That's been my experience, anyhow.

I got a 1/4 roll made up once at the local shop that a rookie musta done because it was tighter than hell and every loop broke right where they were joined. I was pissed and was also in a fly/boat in camp so I was SOL.

I also learned DO NOT make up chains when you have drunkard yourself to blindness even though you think in your mind you can see :\: the next day when you go through the loops you made up you learn some of them have upside down pre-sets :O . :lol:
I figured out a long time ago there is a lot of things you should not do with a snoot full .:lol: Without TMI on that subject I'll just leave it at that .

I get the picture....if the rivet is completely frozen, the chain will likely break. On rivets too tight, usually I take a screw driver and stick it in between the tie straps and give it a tap. That usually gives enough play in a tight rivet to put the chain on the bar to run it around without a break.

Better not to get them too tight to begin with, is the best idea, as stated.

Guys who get rivets too tight, are probably the same ones who strip out threads when tightening bolts. 8)

I learned by just doing it. If you crank it down hard enough for the spinner to leave marks on the tie strap, that's a little too far.

Also, the tie strap has an inside and an outside. The hole is slightly tapered. On the Stihl tie straps, there is a small divot in the middle of the tie strap on one side. That side should face out.

It is about the same as filing a chain .It is a learned skill .

That said though I peened them long before I spun them . Spinning I might add is a whole lot easier .

The Stihl dealer here charges me two and one-half dollars for one rivet and tie strap link. Ever heard of such robbery?

The Stihl dealer here charges me two and one-half dollars for one rivet and tie strap link. Ever heard of such robbery?

Why even pay that at all? Are the parts that hard to come by where you live?
I remember in the middle of winter in Germany paying a boat load of cash for a nasty tomato...

Spain, more likely.
In the mid 80es I had some friends from California come over in November.
We went to shop for food, and suddenly this voice rang out in the supermarket: " A dollar; they want a dollar for one tomato!!"

That was my friend Mike learning about bying veggies in off season in Scandinavia:lol:

International shipping of fresh produce is much more prevelant now than even 20 years ago. Most of our winter stuff comes from Argentina, Chile, Brazil, or Australia.

Back