Risky business

Too thick, enough so to cause a hazard itself rather than mitigate a different one, from my perspective. Any tree of any species, just about, could be made to barberchair with that powerful a pull on that fat a hinge...and that situation could have been really "risky business" to the house and surrounding if it had indeed 'chaired on you.

But it didn't. That's a win any day, David.

The power of a barberchairing butt lifting and levering into the house with the weight of the rest of the tree MA'ing on it would be something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, too thick. Being a solid pine, barberchair wasn’t at the forefront of my mind. I usually wrap everything just in case. Let me see how well I can remember the process: took the bark off, laid down a landing log. May have been too small, but too big might have contributed to bounce…? Guy didn’t care about oaks or landscaping anyway.

Hooked up the truck and winch, gave a little pull before cutting to ensure rigging was good…could move the tree a bit even un-cut. Made my humboldt, ended up with a block face as opposed to chasing the cut. I tend to over cut my hinge/higher back cuts in soft wood (which I rarely get to cut, what a treat). So I stopped my back cut early and my plan was to leave the hinge thick and alternate cutting and winching. But when I walked over to winch, the neighbors were waiting to get by. The winch moved the tree easily, so we went for it. Jumped off pretty good, how I wanted.

Sat down to rest and got ants in my pants and bit all over my butt. I hate ants. They are everywhere in the mountains here. Sometimes there is no where to sit without them.

Only got one oak and I think it might be Ok.
400C9BBA-137F-4BBF-8188-5FEC4550B5E9.jpeg
B3EE992E-C086-430B-9B13-48B92EA0FFB9.jpeg F5A7237E-41B9-47E9-8C22-740FFCB92477.jpeg 9EB5C924-3FF9-4EC4-BB2B-D7C732C24843.jpeg A5C9168A-281A-42EB-BF12-35D20F7DD2A9.jpeg

Winched from where it broke with the butt log chained to the right log. Used ratchet straps to guide log through the oaks. Ratchet straps were right there on the trailer and the comealongs were way over there in the truck. :-D

It was a bit warm but overall enjoyable. Minimal limbs compared to what I’m used to, tall and straight, easy cutting…will be playing at speed cutting soon with those logs I got. Gotta do it before they get dry and hard, but it’s still a bit toasty out…maybe in the shade with a swamp cooler.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eh…I dunno, you guys have more exp but the more I think about it, my gut says it wasn’t that close to chairing. Probably from watching all those shark gill cuts, but I didn’t have gills. I have pulled over a lot of big salt cedars with my 6x6 with thick hinges (weak/unsound wood hanging over a road) and they didn’t ‘chair. Anyway, not so thicc next time.

Hmm, now I have an idea for a little experiment…

Last edited:
That's pretty much what might have happened with your pine next to the house, David. Could have ripped a gouge through the wall.

Back