Ringing Bells in Ohio

You did fine bro. Good on ya for giving it a go. Bring a saw, some bulline, and a lowering block and watch 80 percent of those guys run for the hills.

I meant that most of the dudes at those comps are tree athletes. Not really the "lets get this beast on the ground by lunch" sort of guys.

The best climbers I know, would struggle to even come in as the best loser at those comps. But if the comp included taking that tree apart and getting a check for doing so, they'd come in 1st buy an outrageous margin. Those comps are an excellent measure of climber agility, planned movement, and ability to prune efficiently.

The best climbers I know, would struggle to even come in as the best loser at those comps. But if the comp included taking that tree apart and getting a check for doing so, they'd come in 1st buy an outrageous margin. Those comps are an excellent measure of climber agility, planned movement, and ability to prune efficiently.

:) :thumbright:

I like the Bruce Springsteen line, something like, "Hell you can beat on your chest man, any monkey can".

You did fine bro. Good on ya for giving it a go. Bring a saw, some bulline, and a lowering block and watch 80 percent of those guys run for the hills.

Even old and slow, in my latter working years, I still put the awe in more than few younger, stronger climbers when we worked head to head. The trick in my view can be whittled down to a single concept: conservation of motion. If you can do that, mostly by experience, study of the tree form, and planning, you can beat fast and powerful climbers who count on those attributes to carry them, day in and day out.

I never competed, but it seems to me that the same point of view might well prove to be beneficial in that environment, too.

Even old and slow, in my latter working years, I still put the awe in more than few younger, stronger climbers when we worked head to head. The trick in my view can be whittled down to a single concept: conservation of motion. If you can do that, mostly by experience, study of the tree form, and planning, you can beat fast and powerful climbers who count on those attributes to carry them, day in and day out.

I never competed, but it seems to me that the same point of view might well prove to be beneficial in that environment, too.

:thumbup:

Yup, smooth is fast, slow is smooth, therefore slow is fast.

Took me a few work climb events to stop rushing, and once I slowed down my times came down too.

I wouldn't mind trying a climb comp. I don't anticipate I would even place "Best Loser". But I'd like the experience of having done one and also being able to gauge my decisions in my movements against the path of movement of other, faster climbers. I think that's what I would like best. Measuring my own choices against those of better climbers. For learning purposes.

I wouldn't mind trying a climb comp. I don't anticipate I would even place "Best Loser". But I'd like the experience of having done one and also being able to gauge my decisions in my movements against the path of movement of other, faster climbers. I think that's what I would like best. Measuring my own choices against those of better climbers. For learning purposes.

:thumbup:

We are lucky to have such wisdom here Burn, thanks!

Bonner, congrats on your efforts! Glad you had fun!

2h49cn7.jpg

Back