Rigging out a root-sprung leaner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Neat, Burnham. How did the wire rope fit into the system?

I reckon you're referring to the Blueline rigged to the rescue 8 in the 5th pic of the first post? That's a hard lay three strand...old school climbing rope converted to rigging use. It's the same thing as Goldline, which more folks may have heard of. It's stretchy as hell, rotates under load, and is hard to knot well until it's really broken in, so not too good in applications where those characteristics are undesireable to your rigging needs. On the other hand, it's strong and very abrasion resistant, and because it's stretchy, fights above it's weight class in taking shock loads.

As I recall, we used it as one leg of the haul out/back control line. I cobbled up a 3:1 or 4:1 (I don't recall which at this point) MA micro pulley block and tackle on a prusik loop to tension that line in haulback position prior to taking the load of the top and short logs...that overcame some of the issues with the stretch. We used the r8 to lock off the tensioned line. Once we'd transferred all the load to the zipline, we'd pop the lock free and send the piece down the zip.

I was wonderin' if they use friction savers on the climb lines! And how the speed line was set up! But yeah Jay, having someone around to show the set-up is cool!

Yes to the friction savers...ring and ring style, I believe.

Zipline was anchored off hard at ground level off the the right side of most of the pics, run through a block on a sling up higher in the tree that the left hand climbline was set in, then down to a porty mounted on a sling at the base of that tree. We'd tension the zip with the same little MA system I mentioned in the post above.

I don't think Burnham does much video yet, but he's pretty good about bringing us cool pictures on a regular basis. :)

I think he's on vacation this week. We should see him back here after the first of the year sometime.

I don't think Burnham does much video yet, but he's pretty good about bringing us cool pictures on a regular basis. :)

I think he's on vacation this week. We should see him back here after the first of the year sometime.

Brian is correct, I guess I avoid video 'cause I have little interest in learning how to edit them into cogent form or posting to a hosting site. I'll leave that stuff to smarter guys than me. I might be wrong, but it also seems to me that it would be difficult to really pay attention to what's going on in the real world and shoot video of it at the same time...especially when instructing. I reckon a tripod is the way to deal with that, but those static location shots tend to get boring, don't you think?

Still photos I can handle relatively well...y'all will just have to get by with that limitation on my value as entertainment :).

Brian is correct, I guess I avoid video 'cause I have little interest in learning how to edit them into cogent form or posting to a hosting site. I'll leave that stuff to smarter guys than me. I might be wrong, but it also seems to me that it would be difficult to really pay attention to what's going on in the real world and shoot video of it at the same time...especially when instructing. I reckon a tripod is the way to deal with that, but those static location shots tend to get boring, don't you think?

Still photos I can handle relatively well...y'all will just have to get by with that limitation on my value as entertainment :).

I'm happy with photos. Helmet cams are sweet though. And editing video is extremely time consuming.

Thanks for your posts!

You wouldn't want this forager at the public feed trough...er, I mean public servant...to be wasting your tax dollars futzing around with a video cam when I am supposed to be Caring for the Land and Serving People, now would you?
:/:
:P
:lol:
Oh, yeah...I forgot to say it...Punk!
;)

Bump your bump, Sean :). Saw this being followed by a guest, read it all again...pretty good pics, if I say so myself :D.

'Nother bump...I like this thread :). Looking for something else re rigging gear in a search, found this, there ya have it :).

Back