Rigging an oak stub

mistahbenn

Treehouser
Sorry for a boring mundane video guys, I know how you feel too, I just get bored and want to make something creative :) There wasnt alot of brush on this oak, but a halla lotta rigging for the wood. 2 days in total for the whole tree :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KifECSCJ-1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please turn off if you get bored!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pat its a contour Roam, cheap and great quality! I hardly do any fiming these days... I have a Drift 1080 too.

MB It was a barmy 38 F! We were gonna do the tree on friday, but 8 F Was way too cold to be doing all that rigging/standing around!!

Chris we were using the Stein device, he's not used to it I think.... Maybe 1 too many wraps. There were two wires above the driveway too. But yes I know! Glad I didnt have to climb that sucka!

Ok, so you used a standard friction device (as I have) I have often asked my groundy to "let it run a bit" on mine, he finds it impossible because he is too cautious. Does anyone have any tips as to how "learn him a bit"

He does, it seems he puts the fear of losing it and watching it plummet into the target less scary than the fear of watching me buck around like a fool on a spar, possibly losing teeth or worse. I've given up trying.

Tried bollocking him, Makes no difference.
Thinking about it, what would work is if he saw it done by a pro.
In Answer to 1bus, he doesn't climb.

Knowing it means you adjust a bit, rope down a lot of things myself, leave a bit of slack if I want it to drop a bit away from me, keep pieces small, I do get a bit jealous when I watch vids of top groundies slowing stuff smooth as silk on lowering.

He needs to get the feel for it man, MAKE HIM! I have lost my touch with being on the other end of the rope now, but when I used to work with Reg, he favored me over anyone else for lowering :)

OK I'll give it another go, sometimes I'm too fixated on the finish and the paycheck, on a job where we're coasting we should practice a bit where there's no danger.

Ok, so you used a standard friction device (as I have) I have often asked my groundy to "let it run a bit" on mine, he finds it impossible because he is too cautious. Does anyone have any tips as to how "learn him a bit"

You have to tell him exactly how many wraps to take. Standing closer to the device gives the rope man a lot more control. then let him play with it in non-critical situations. get him to practice running a piece all the way to the ground...
You can also compensate for a groundie that won't let it run by using a dynamic rope (true blue) and putting more rope in the system by using a big redirect block at the base of the tree and putting the LD on a tree or truck some distance away. I haven't tried it yet, and I was thinking if you have the LD ona truck you could put the truck in neutral and let it start rolling to reduce the shock load.. then all the grundi has to do is step on the brake

All of that is terrible advice.

Standing closer to the device translates to "closer to the kill zone"

True blue? Ive snapped that shit. Stretches great, then snaps. Weight is weight. Too heavy breaks ropes. Groundman must learn to lower. No way around it.

Lowering device on a truck in neutral? Picture customer looking out the window saying "My God, its Sanford and Sons".

I don't know, if Daniel is running the ropes maybe closer is better? I go the other way, I think you have an overall better view of what's going on, tell him how many wraps to take and make sure he does, I think climbing gave me a better feel for how the ropes should be run, when I'm on the ground I try to run them and all the ground work the way I'd want it done if I were climbing. Nice work Ben!

Back