Revolvers

Why not a .44?

'cause if I buy a .44 it's just one more type of ammo to add to the shopping list! I already have a XDm .45 so figured I'd get another pistol in .45 And Ed, I don't reckon a burgler/home invader would really notice the difference if I shot him with a .44 or a .45 in an 'across the room' encounter.

I hear you rob - a .44 is probably not good for home defence anyways, as it would happily go through a perp and 2 stud walls.

I'd personally like a .44 pistol and a matching carbine in .44. Ten I can use the same ammo in both.

Gary, thats a fine choice of gun in my opinion. I had a 686 with the 8" or so barrel and a fine gun it was. I dig .44's but I dont think they shine well over the .357 until you start looking at it as a hunting pistol. Otherwise, for target shooting, I say .357/.38 all day long.

Nice Smith Gary. I too would like to add a model 29 to my collection-just never have gotten round to it. The 686 is arguably more generally useful though.

A friend had a Model 29 but I think I remember it as a .357... did they ever chamber the 29 in .357?

I let go of a Colt Cobra to pay a debt... really regret it, the only handgun I owned that didn't have a paper record anywhere.

A friend had a Model 29 but I think I remember it as a .357... did they ever chamber the 29 in .357?

If it was a .357 it could have been the model 19.

Copy and pasted info. 29 686 19

The Smith & Wesson Model 29 is a six-shot, double-action revolver chambered for the powerful .44 Magnum cartridge, manufactured by the U.S. company Smith & Wesson. It was made famous by and is still most often associated with the fictional character "Dirty" Harry Callahan from the Dirty Harry series of films starring Clint Eastwood.

The Model 29 was offered with 4", 5", 6½", 8⅜" and, later, 10⅝" barrel lengths as standard models. Other barrel lengths were available either by special order from Smith & Wesson's Custom Shop or custom built by gunsmiths. The 5" barreled variant had a full length underlug. Finish options available included a highly polished blued or nickel-plated surface

The Smith & Wesson (S & W) Model 686, is a six or seven shot double action revolver chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge. It will also chamber and fire .38 Special cartridges, as the .357 Magnum was developed from the .38 Special. The magnum case is slightly longer to prevent magnum rounds from being chambered and fired in handguns chambered for the .38 Special. The 686 has been available with 2-1/2 in. (64 mm); 3 in.(76mm); 4 in. (102 mm); 5 in. (127 mm); 6 in. (153 mm); and 8-3/8" in. (214 mm) barrel lengths as standard models and other barrel lengths either by special order from S & W's Performance Center custom shop, or acquired from or built by after-market gunsmiths. The Performance Center also made a limited number of 686 in .38 Super for competitive shooters.

Smith & Wesson introduced the Model 686 in 1980. It is the stainless steel version of the 586, which was a blued steel finish. It was chambered for .357 Magnum and .38 S&W Special +P calibers. They are available ported and unported with a choice of 6 or 7 round cylinders.[citation needed]

The Model 686 is based on S & W's L (medium-large) revolver frame. During the 1980s, Smith & Wesson developed its L-Frame line of .357 Magnums: the Model 581, Model 586, Model 681 and Model 686.

The S&W Model 19 is a revolver produced by Smith & Wesson on its K-frame platform. The model 19 is chambered for .357 Magnum. The K-frame is somewhat smaller and lighter than the original N-frame .357, usually known as the S&W Model 27.

Top is a 44 mag Rehawk. Bottom 2 are S&W 686's, 8 3/8 barrels. the center one is a pretty rare factory scope mount version. The 686's have had the barrels recrowned and a beadblast finish done to them. All 3 are Mag-na-ported.

Ed

revolvers.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Late update. I finally got to head to the range and shoot the 686. Very smooth and accurate. I'm very happy with my choice of revolver. Didn't even have to move the rear sight (so far). I smell a .44 Magnum in the near future. :)

Gary

Back