Revolutionary "new" tree climbing tool. Upgrade your tree game and on ground!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another great use for the Monster X or similar tool is on horizontal limbs/branches over roofs. The majority of my jobs are residential and enviably, the home owner builds their house under a tree then wants it cut down! If there is a higher limb to pull and lower from, great, but what if there isn't? Often times I've had to under cut almost all the way through a limb/log section and peel it back up into my lap to be tossed safely aside. If you have ever had to do this, you know what an extreme back workout it can be! So after cutting, I use the point of the hook to grab the butt and pull it back to me with far greater ease and purchase on the wood.

If need be, I can loop a runner on the limb behind me as a counter-pull point. No back, all arms.

If it works for you or another climber, fine by me, no problem with that. But I'd never in a million years imagine one on my harness. I can visualize absolutely zero uses for it meshing with my climbing styles, even with your comprehensive descriptions.
Welcome, btw :).

I'm with Burnham on this one.
Climbing with an esoteric hookeroon on my saddle ain't in the cards.
But I frequently use a 6' pole minus the saw blade for hooking hangers, and extending my reach for attaching tag lines, etc.

But I frequently use a 6' pole minus the saw blade for hooking hangers, and extending my reach for attaching tag lines, etc.

I totally understand. But a triple grip, ice/rock/wood/anything climbing hooker rated as cat 2 PPE made in Italy, is a happy hooker! Adding the nose guard to mine eliminated all cut/puncture worry. I can ascend with confidence and instantly hook/sit/rest whenever I want to. Ripping/smashing dead branches is a bonus, plus I can drive a wedge to direct a leaning log up in the tree.

Someone who works mostly large scale commercial jobs with giant machinery might have little use for this tool other than a climbing novelty. For me with no crane or boom truck, working mostly residential and orchard jobs, hand dragging to and loading a chipper, it is indispensable. I use it in the air and on the ground equally, never leaving my hand for a good 80% of the total job time.

this

I think a vid would maybe help me to see how this could be efficient. Honestly just reading your description of it's effectiveness is leaving me doubting how handy this could really be.

I think a vid would maybe help me to see how this could be efficient. Honestly just reading your description of it's effectiveness is leaving me doubting how handy this could really be.

It'll be a week at best to get a vid up, but I will work on it! Very busy in the mean time.

The efficiency is that it turns all types of branch/limb/trunk holds into the same contoured hand hold, that I no longer need to repeatedly open, close and adjust my hand grip/position to navigate. It turns a trunk hugging whole arm/palm wrap into a "bicep curl" whole hand/thumb grip directly in front of me. I use it like a short positioning local/life line that I can stick darn near anywhere on the tree. It does not interfere with my side D ring local as it is attached to my rope bridge like a life line. It does not interfere with my life line as I use a triple attachment micro-pulley. Not to mention it's use as a hanging tool station, could also be achieved with the daisy chain attached to the tree in other manners.

I hand lift and move a great deal of logs into the back of a dump trunk. Being able to yank them of the ground with a single arm as a bicep curl without bending over is a big plus. I can drag a larger pile of branches with this than I can without.

Just reporting what works for me...and it works a whole lot!

Clearly you're passionate about it, and I commend you for thinking outside the box and sharing it with others. If you do get a chance to make a vid I'd love to see it in action.

My bad. You can use them on chalk too.....probably wood. May the force be with yeo

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NywlLx491MA

Now that's just crazy! :goodluck:

With a moderate swing, I can bury the point of this thing into wood far enough to make it extremely difficult to remove. Coastal, salt cured ironwood and keawe (mesquite) is an exception. Taking the corner off the blade bevel would increase it's penetration. One whack and I have a weight bearing handle attached to my saddle, on any shape piece of weight bearing wood. I can also gauge the internal integrity of the wood by the resonant *thunk*. I have found hidden hollow cavities this way. Coastal ironwood has a nasty habit of all the heart wood rotting out leaving only a cylinder of structure. I knock on every tree I climb or fell.

Clearly you're passionate about it, and I commend you for thinking outside the box and sharing it with others. If you do get a chance to make a vid I'd love to see it in action.

For you, I will compose one. :thumbup:

That would be cool. I learn better from seeing/doing than reading a description. Even though I have no skills In the video department myself.

I'd be more incline to chat if you hadn't said you weren't affiliated with the company.

:dontknow:

While one could certainly give you more specs about the tool itself...what would they know about it's uses in tree business? I've met a few mountain/rock climbers that think tree climbing is for kids. If I'm still a kid at heart and able to climb/trim trees like my boss was doing at 70 years old, I'll consider it a life very well lived....and still living! I'm only half way there...

What I meant is that I believe you are affiliated with the company. But you started off saying you aren't. That threw a red flag for me. Guys shop up from time to time looking to make some sales, and it easy to see right off the bat. But then they vanish.

What I meant is that I believe you are affiliated with the company. But you started off saying you aren't. That threw a red flag for me. Guys shop up from time to time looking to make some sales, and it easy to see right off the bat. But then they vanish.

Believe whatever you will, makes no difference to me. I can understand a healthy screen of skepticism but to believe the anti-thesis of every proposition is the road to madness.

I'm still around and very busy. When I can take a moment to shoot a vid, I'll get Maui in the shot. I'm an arborist on the Big Island Hawaii, there are no European mountain climbing companies here...there are no mountain climbing equipment stores period. I'm and inventor and re-purposer as you can see by the other hook related tools I have fabricated in this thread and the other tool thread I made. This ice/rock axe tool is one I can buy specifically rated to hold my weight and it does a crap load of other things for me, which after 13 years has caused me to fall back in love with my job. That is all.

If you can find a better tool I want to know, whether it's a hay-bailing hook or a dinosaur sized dentist pick.

p.s. I also own a hay bailing company and a "nature preserve" on a remote tropical island. :P

I like your willingness to tell me you don't give a damn what I think. I think we might be new friends. I'm Chris. Post some vids dude.

I like your willingness to tell me you don't give a damn what I think. I think we might be new friends. I'm Chris. Post some vids dude.

Hah! Pleased to meet you Chris, I'm Aaron. I have a window of "free time" tomorrow, we'll see what happens. :thumbup:

Back