hollow tree over hause; gotta lighten the load while maintaining health

Attachments

• red oak cavity caption.jpg
    red oak cavity caption.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6911.jpg
    IMG_6911.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 56
Could you repeat the question please? I guess I don't get it? Is it a red oak? No, doesn't look like one...no pointy leaf tips...
But the boxed caption is fascinating, epi- vs. endo cormic. I have miles to go... so much to learn. Buttress formation? I'd never thought to look for that... always thought sucker growth was sucker growth.
Help, Dr. Meilleur!!!

Maybe I don't know Shiz but I wouldn't want a tree that rotten and hollow with that much lean hanging over where I park every day. Am I being to much of an arbophobe? Seems like heavy rains and wind could send that tree sailing on over. What do you think it would take to snap it off where the decay is? Do hurricanes come through there?

Risk vs reward.... Beautiful tree. Very rewarding for sure. I'd risk parking under it. My vehicles are insured. Not sure I'd park my kids bedroom under it though. I'd have to climb and inspect it personally to be, "comfortable" with it. We can't resolve irrational fears of trees falling. We can educate and provide options, but can't guarantee against total tree failure or the rogue wind storm. Most I dealt with have their minds made up regarding their arbophobia and their killer tree. Knowledge and education are powerful and persuasive, but phobias, rational or not can be more powerful.

Great pics/captions, Guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The cars are much less of a target than the house. if it failed at the base the tree would land square in the middle yes where bedrooms are. Owners have enjoyed the tree 20 years but now older and more worried. so i am visiting more often and cutting more off. as long as sprouting is controlled, and not in panic flushes, the tree seems to be tolerating the reduction.

Nick yeah i got chewed out for using "retrenchment" in the attached from 2010; someone coined it in a pub and wanted ownership; i said sure run with it old chap...

top yes like anywhere we plan on 70 mph winds and guard trees against even stronger storms. and i agree with nick yes cavity should not = fear.

Attachments

• restore_2010_06.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 13
Cool link & thanks, Guy. I read as much as my attention span would allow lol. BTW I totally misspelled your name but corrected it. How is that pronounced? >>> maylure???
I googled Nalini Nadkarni (from the article) and she gave a TED talk in '09 that I checked out. Nice.

"I read as much as my attention span would allow

well i hope you make it to the retrenchment part nest time!

"I googled Nalini Nadkarni (from the article) and she gave a TED talk in '09 that I checked out. Nice."

Yeah she's a trip.

May-er', double LLs are like a Y in french, spanish etc.

Sliding scale. One ASCA friend said a tomo report on 2 trees could not be done under $1k, but he's in DC, and he's an ASCAn... I just charge by the hour typically, something extra for machine use mebbe, but it would be way under that, unless the report needed extraordinary detail. once we got practiced at it it started going pretty fast.

Back