Razor clamming

Eat them raw, or steam them? Are raw clams even a thing? I like raw oysters, but don't really trust them, so I haven't had any for years. They're filter feeders, and I see what goes in the water, so...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Neither. I don't think anyone eats razor clams either of those methods.

Razor clams, you dip in boiling water to make it easy to remove the clam from the shell, then open up the gut and thoroughly clean out grit, etc., snip off the gills, butterfly the neck after snipping off the tip, then butterfly the foot and remove the bit of gut there. It's more work cleaning than catching, that's for sure :).

Very lightly dusted with flour, then sautéed quickly in a frying pan with a little canola oil and some bacon. That's how we do them.

Ooooh, Burnham, now you're bringing back memories on my side. When the wife and I started dating, we use to go to NYC Chinatown for seafood hot pot, and we would put down 3-4 dozen of those thangs cooked in a spicy sauce. :thumbup:

I don't think he's doing it to save money. I'm going pheasant hunting tomorrow and I figure it will cost me about $75 per bird. Hog hunting is similar; about $50 per pound of hog sausage. But the experience is well worth it.

Back