Queen For A Day. "FKA"- what this job has done to me.

• Thread starter Drella
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 3K
D

Drella

I'll start with my sense of smell. I'm coming to realize more every day -that the years I spent inhaling sawdust, dirt and chipper grime, has taken it's toll on my sinus cavity. My wife is constantly smelling things that totally escape my scent perception.

I can't even exercise without using those nose strips that open your air-ways, due to the years of abuse and garbage breathed in from doing tree work...:cry:

Last edited:
Dude go see your Doc. You might have a deviated septom.

If so it can be fixed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting you say that. I've thought at great length about having that procedure done.

My groundie had the operation done back a few years. And every spring, I watch him as his nose throws-up a constant supply of nasal discharge. What has happened to Fred is, now he has no protection to inhibit the flow of debris into his sinuses, resulting in an annoying amount of nostril fluid, lasting close to two solid months. Seriously, I just watch it constantly drip...

Plus I heard a few horror stories about it and I'm not sure I'd want to go through with it myself.....:O

Those are rare cases.
Butch brings up something you & your help could try. Cant hurt a thing trying it out.

The worse thing he can do is keep sniffling.

man ive cut redwood and red/incense cedar most of my life and still have a great sence of smell. i would think of any wood ive been around those would do damage. something else is likely wrong

You're so vain, you probably think this thread is about you.

Alright guys, the idea of this thread is not just to focus on my honker, but to discuss the hardships brought upon the body, by doing what we do, year after year....

;)

Different strokes for different folks. My hands are shot, I try not to dwell on it to much. Vitamin I and a sunny outlook.8)

Different strokes for different folks. My hands are shot, I try not to dwell on it to much. Vitamin I and a sunny outlook.8)
That might not be related to tree work:D But I dont think a canucklehead would need both "hands"?

My right knee is shot from a ripped meniscus joint back about 10 years now.
I currently take meds for swelling and pain, with the addition of shots every month...

My left ankle gives me problems daily. I'm guessing it was from the years of carrying 75lb logs on my shoulder- from the tree to the truck, with my RedWing boots- that had 2" heels. I can't count the times I would be humping wood across the lawn on my shoulder and step into a divet or hole in the yard, twisting my ankle time and time again. It's to the point that every morning I can't walk on it for the first 15 minutes. Weekly, I put a TENS unit on it, full power!

I've got carpal tunnel in my left hand to the point that it wakes me every night, numb and tingling. In fact, even when I'm typing it does it...

When I was young, I guess I had a lot to prove. So I would beat my body to a pulp. I remember when taking lunch, we would sit on our lunch boxes and chow. Then when lunch was over, we'd get back at it. My boss, being 15 years older, would rise slowly, grunting and moaning- and he was in perfect shape,, just older. When I'd get up, it was like I had springs in my shoes!
He would look over at me, smile and say,,, "Oh, you just wait, you just wait."
I was in my twenties then, now I'm almost 40 and I hurt...

Brian....google prolotherapy......I recently talked to treepsyder. he had it done, not sure if it helped him. Prolly not much, he's given up tree work, unfortunately. It apparantly works very well at rejuvenating damaged ligaments.

Good news for me is, I'm healing....climbed a couple Japanese maple, so big I had to tie in, knee is better.....(for those of you who don't know, my rope was chipped....pulled my upside down and sideways, against solidly gaffed in left leg before Blaze broke with some 2500-5000 lb of applied force to me poor ole bod.......over a month ago now....MRI showed damage, but things are coming around....

Brian....google prolotherapy......I recently talked to treepsyder. he had it done, not sure if it helped him. Prolly not much, he's given up tree work, unfortunately. It apparantly works very well at rejuvenating damaged ligaments.

Good news for me is, I'm healing....climbed a couple Japanese maple, so big I had to tie in, knee is better.....(for those of you who don't know, my rope was chipped....pulled my upside down and sideways, against solidly gaffed in left leg before Blaze broke with some 2500-5000 lb of applied force to me poor ole bod.......over a month ago now....MRI showed damage, but things are coming around....

Holy Molie!!!!!! what kind of chipper you got? I thought for some reason you had a disk but I guess it must be a drum huh? Last year my groundie got the lowering rope in the chipper(morbark 17). I was literaly about to tie a limb off when the rope zipped out of my hand. 200' of 9/16 stable braid went in that chipper in about 5 seconds:\: I have no doubt that if I tied that knot I would have been killed:|: Years ago another moron put one in my BB disk chipper and it just cut the rope into foot long pieces, didnt wrap it around the drum and pull it in at 100mph.

Good to hear you are getting better, Aint it cool how many ways there are to get F'ed up doing trees:lol:

The way I look at it, I'm more likely to get maimed by driving on the freeway. I'd much rather be dangling from a rope 100 ft from the ground than dodging dumbasses on I-5.

Back