q. lobata, valley oak

That's what I hate about consultations. 90% of the time it's too late IMO, so you end up telling the customer what they don't want to hear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Talked to the property owner today and told him there wasn't too much hope for the tree; but it's lean is away from property/people so we'll just wait and see.

For now I'm building a temporary fence around the excavation hole (greater than 2' deep) as changing grade on this scale is just not realistic with their budget.

jp:D

as changing grade on this scale is just not realistic with their budget.

jp:D

That is true what was said earlier, ....either you are too late, or they cannot afford to do the extent of what is needed. Very frustrating.

Pity. In a perfect world, arborists would be consulted before construction. I hear ya on delivering the bad news... I've revamped it many times over the years to soften the blow (and let general contractors off the hook).
"It is probably a result of the construction in this area, and unfortunately it takes 7 - 10 years to show...." blahblahblah

I remember a consultation I did for a developer in a new large subdivision. It was about three years after the start of the project and I was called in because most of the huge old live oaks were in serious decline. We had an onsite meeting with the county forester, the developer, several GC's, and a bunch of other people. In front of everyone, the developer said to me, "These trees are an integral and invaluable part of this entire project. We will do ANYTHING it takes to save them, no matter what it costs. Just tell us what we need to do."
I asked if he was serious and he replied, "Absolutely, what do we need to do to save these trees?"
I looked around one more time and said, half seriously and half tongue in cheek, "First, any house within fifty feet of a tree must be removed. Then, all of the fill dirt within that same area must be removed to restore the original grade. After that, we can work on the compacted soil to restore the root system and pruning out dead wood. Do all that and these trees will have a 50/50 chance of surviving."
Needless to say, that didn't go over too well. They chose to have another "arborist" cut back all of the trees to "compensate for root damage." :roll:
Last time I drove by there, about 90% of the trees were gone. There were about 80 trees when they started. :X

I have been in on the front of the development stage. I get called in to brush out a road for equipment and try to make a road that will not be too intrusive. Then I am often asked what I would do to hold on to as much as I could in the development. I give what advise I can with what experience and such I have. I often refer an arborist to answer questions further than I can.. Then I see the project later... All is ignored for moneys sake. Until they set laws on how much they have to save (AZ is a good example, they have to leave a percentage of natural undisturbed, remove, relocate and replace a lot of indigenous species) and how, this will go on. Hate to see it. Want it to change. Try to educate. But it all boils down to the almighty buck for the most part. Every once in a while you get a winner that listens and implements a good plan :)

Lots of developers will express concern about the trees until the last check clears.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Came back and finished this job today with three more trees added to the work, which filled the entire day. Put a small fence around the tree to prevent people from falling into the excavated area.

Attachments

• DSCN2546.JPG
    DSCN2546.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN2544.JPG
    DSCN2544.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 44
?

Anthropromorphasizing (sp) trees?

Didn't see the storm grate. How many roots were cut to install that?

Shouldn't the entire growing zone be lowered?

Good luck with that tree by the way...

You can call a tree "she" without anthropomorphasizing it, if it is one of those that have separate sexes, like Ash.
In the case of an oak, it seems a little odd, though.

Back