Training new climbers —old skool.

Good discussion, I'm also of the walk before you run philosophy.

I think the mental toolbox aspects of a basic system is paramount. Knowing how to tie that Blake's on your tail for work positioning, etc is certainly useful. Not to mention the equipment cost when you're a new climber. Lots of shiny gadgets dangled in front of you when you can get to work with just a rope.

All that being said, we've come a long way and for good reason. Mechanicals and single rope techniques are excellent tools in keeping us working safer for longer.

Maybe I just learned old school and want to make everyone else suffer through the right of passage of ascending 60' spikeless on a Blake's.

I don't think the old ways are obsolete. It's all just knots and rope, and it's worth learning even if it isn't primarily used. Simply pointing out that it's a thing that can be done opens up opportunity in the future if the need arises. If nothing else, it's a good demonstration of how good things are today.

If you start a guy, teaching basics, older hitches and then inprovements; they appreciate as it gets easier with newer kit. Every climber should be able to tie basics. Taughtline, Blakes for friction hitch. Munter hitch for belay or lowering. Fig 8 set ups.
These are important knowledge for the JIC stuff or that little bit extra reach using the tail of the climbline for your second tie in.
Show how pulleys help tend hitches. Etc.

I have been thinking about mechanicals vs. knot based devices and comparing tree work to another working at heights discipline: industrial rope access. This is kind of a derail and like comparing apples to oranges. Maybe nothing of value for deciding how to train new tree workers. Still we might find some tasty wheat in all the chaff. I am wondering about the reasons the IRATA and SPRAT world jumped right past hitch systems. I am guessing it’s mostly because MRS did not make any sense in their world and it is a more recent trade than tree work and borrowed techniques from caving. By the time industrial rope access started to get formalized cavers had SRT and mechanicals already sorted out. Also I am guessing that it is a heavily regulated craft and the insurance companies feel safer with mechanicals, especially for level ones coming off a quick training program.

Back