Propping a Tree

Very nice! I hope they treated all the wood.

I think there are many removals that can and should be "prob jobs" instead.

love
nick

greg, I cant tell fro the pic because i cant see the entire crown to detrmine top load, but that doesnt look nearly adequate for a tree that size.

believe it or not, you are seeing most of the crown (whats left of it)
also the tree is almost completely hollow maybe 3 in of sound wood, not really a lot of weight there

I'll be going back later this spring to reduce it even more. I'll get some before and after pics.

I do have pics on my work comp of the entire project, I'll try to get 'em up tomorrow

I recall a pic that Sqwerl has posted of a live oak that spans a canal that he runs his fishing boat through. The tree has a steel prop post on the opposite side of the canal from the tree's base. It's a cool picture...and a great way to save a tree.

You're gonna top that poor old weeper again?:D:lol:(I can't help myself some days!!)

Those first pics, that sure looks like a lot of work, I don't really know anyone who would be willing to shell out for work like that I think. I guess I don't know the right clients yet? Everyone around here would just be like 'cut er down'.

believe it or not, you are seeing most of the crown (whats left of it)
also the tree is almost completely hollow maybe 3 in of sound wood, not really a lot of weight there

I'll be going back later this spring to reduce it even more. I'll get some before and after pics.

I do have pics on my work comp of the entire project, I'll try to get 'em up tomorrow

I figured something of the such, I know you know what you are doing. But like so many other pics we see, they can be misleading.
Is the prop fastened to the tree, or does the tree just rest on it?

There is a 90' Quercus lobata here with some HUGE 30' braces on it. I'll see if I can dig up the pics. I might have to get out there and take more pics.

love
nick

, I know you know what you are doing.

that makes one of us!:D

Its just kinda wedged in there. I put the whole story on AS last year. Basically it was a FU to a landscaper who demanded we remove the tree. I'll reduce it again this year and again in a couple more years. There is a replacement next to it so eventually we'll just remove it.

I would have to pay someone to let me try that. I'm 100% sure that I've never had a customer willing to pay for something like that. It's the devil's work I say!

TS

Maybe I need to move back to a city...

Ha- thanks for the link.

Geeez there are a lot of morons at that site. Yourself excluded. :)

I recall a pic that Sqwerl has posted of a live oak that spans a canal that he runs his fishing boat through. The tree has a steel prop post on the opposite side of the canal from the tree's base. It's a cool picture...and a great way to save a tree.

Yup, that tree inspiried me to do a similar brace for my next door neighbor several years ago. Here's your picture again, Burnham. :)

I have lots of clients who would pay for that kind of work. much better than a needless removal. City/suburb trees are disappearing so they are precious.

OTG permish wha...?

Back