Project Chip Truck

• Thread starter Jonseredbred
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 4K
J

Jonseredbred

Things are slow here, going to put another chip truck together. I don't know why because things are not selling any way:cry:

Maybe just to keep morale up so the guys see things going onward and upward.

Nice little International 1600, 60k original miles 7.3 diesel/automatic.
need to stretch it a little and were going to put a 11' Southco chip box on it.

Attachments

• 0627091233a.jpg
    0627091233a.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CARB has to be a bitch.

Fug that! $500.00 min for just bringing it to the shop.. I dare you do get any new vehicle done cheaper... Lets see.... My Ford just got a new fuel pump... $35.00 plus sweat equity. Try that on a 2008-2009 model.... Yeah ... whateva! Bet on new vehicle off warranty its higher and I bet you pay at least that a month for the vehicle..... NOT including insurance.... I 'll take my old school rides anyday.. Gimmee a wrench !

Old is fine, but I won't roll without AC. I paid almost $2K to have AC installed in my old bucket truck when I bought it. I refused to take delivery until the AC was installed and working.

I'll keep my current pickup until the AC no longer works/ is not repairable. Life is too short to suffer in a hot truck.

Serious consideration there Brian and I can totally relate. In your neck of the woods AC is a must... Any one in the south... Humidity won't allow for anything less.... In my neck of the woods.. AC is just a drag on the engine ;)

A fuel pump replacement on my pickup will run you $250 and up at a shop. About a hundred dollars for the pump and you have to remove the gas tank and split it. My cousin had a sensor go bad in his 1998 ford with the 7.3 diesel. $2500 at the ford dealer. I think it was the cam sensor.

Serious consideration there Brian and I can totally relate. In your neck of the woods AC is a must... Any one in the south... Humidity won't allow for anything less.... In my neck of the woods.. AC is just a drag on the engine ;)

AC would have been pretty nice today Stephen. When and if I ever get to working again I'm going to save up and put it in my truck.

Sucks for your cousin Steve. Cam senors run $25 and are removed with a 10mm wrench. Takes about 5 minutes in the mud in my brothers driveway in the pouring rain.

Again.... AC nice.. But up here... Not really necessary.. A man has to be careful with AC... too much and you don't want to have to get out of the truck.. ;)
When I lived in AZ. I worked for years with out AC. 55 mph country air is all I had. I lived.. Were talking 121 in the shade mang!
Again down in your neck of the woods Steve.. higher humidity would make me want AC.. But that's what the van is for :)

A fuel pump replacement on my pickup will run you $250 and up at a shop. About a hundred dollars for the pump and you have to remove the gas tank and split it. My cousin had a sensor go bad in his 1998 ford with the 7.3 diesel. $2500 at the ford dealer. I think it was the cam sensor.

that cam sensor was redesign 3 times by Ford. and they take about 5 mim. to change out.
if you get a replacement new from the dealer it should last along time. or buy a Well's mfg part we made it just like the O.E. part all the elec. components are same and the out side dimension are in +-.003" of O.E. i spent 2 years working on this sensor.

Again.... AC nice.. But up here... Not really necessary.. A man has to be careful with AC... too much and you don't want to have to get out of the truck.. ;)
When I lived in AZ. I worked for years with out AC. 55 mph country air is all I had. I lived.. Were talking 121 in the shade mang!
Again down in your neck of the woods Steve.. higher humidity would make me want AC.. But that's what the van is for :)

As you get older Stephen, these things start looking a little different. I used to think like you.

Oh I agree whole heartedly my friend. I love AC :) (48 remember and AZ trashed my thermostat) I just don't want the young bucks to think they have to have it ;) I can get away with out it up here ;)

Got the chip body out today, removed the inner tool box for extra storage and started the vents for the roof.

Attachments

• 0630091436a.jpg
    0630091436a.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 95
its only letting one pic at a time to upload???

Attachments

• 0630091435a.jpg
    0630091435a.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 169
Getting ready to stretch her out.........

Attachments

• 0630091437a.jpg
    0630091437a.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 172
You can put as many pictures per post as you want though. Just one at a time. Looking good. My forestry truck doesn't have any vents.

It's a lot easier to find a long framed truck than cut one down or stretch one out . I guess you have to do what you have to do though .

I've got a couple of metal sawhorses like in the picture. Heavy as lead but I think they would hold up a battle ship .

Keep the pics coming. I find this interesting. Was going to do something similar this winter only on a 1 ton truck. Was going to swap my service body with lift gate truck which is in bad shape mechanically onto another Chevy that had a dump body but mechanically much better.

I decided against it as I would probaly end up with two ruined trucks because of my inexperience at this sort of thing. Just dedcided it was better in the long run to just keep fixing my service/lift gate truck.

Back