Progress capture for HC while ascending?

ClimbMIT

TreeHouser
Hey Guys, Apologies if this has been already covered. I was wondering what would make a good progress capture while ascending Drt on the HC set up? If there is a video, pics, etc.., Thanks in advance!
Mark

I use a VT... Here is the video.... using a swabisch.....

Many different prussic types, you will have to dial in what works for you and your rope and cordage.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ydt-hUT6aGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't open or copy video CV? I think it's this app for my ipad?! I use VT 4 wrap 3 braid as well Adam. I apparently didn't word the question properly :o Lets see if I can put this in perspective that makes sense to not only me;) While ascending with the HC and Vt. Ok, I would pull two to three times to go up. Once I have gained vertically, my right hand is holding me up and then I will have to tend the slack with my left hand. I am talking about not having to tend the slack with your left hand once you ascend. I actually came across a post on AS recently where a guy used a ring with a 15" piece of Velocity attached to a crab to extend his HC set up above him so you would ascend and your vertical process is immediately captured. As I write this I have just had a number ideas come to mind! I have been in brain fart mode! I could use my pantin? A sling to form the extension was mentioned or a progress capture device?

Oh, I know what you mean. That just moves the base of the HC away from you. Some people use a tether like that guy you're talking about.

You can check out the Anchor Bridge setup here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IxODdIUiWo

Or since you already have a HC you can try setting it up in an O-Method like seen in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4AlDpIZraA

I always see the O-Method and think it looks great, but when I adjust it back in it's no where near as easy as it looks in that video. I also can't fit an eye splice through the swivel I use on my bridge very well.

The tether seems like the quickest on/off to me.

If you mess around with any of those post your impressions. I'd be interested to see how they work out for you.

Never have used the little rubber ring to hold the system in place on the carabiner. Do they sell those or something? Rings made from bicycle tubes would be too big. :|:

That's the one Adam, I will take some pics next time or make a video and post. I might just try a CMI loop runner and biner like someone posted. I have some Bandits too but didn't buy the tool to attach them and they are PITA to attach without the tool. I have also used my DMM pulley on a prusik attached to the line before to make a 2:1 advantage and that works pretty good as well. I think I may take some time to play around with it and make an instructional video of the pro's and con's of the different possibilities after I try them.

If you want to get those rubber bands onto a biner you can just chew on them for a second and slip them on. They dry out and stay in place.

I think a loop runner is a good idea. You can keep it on your saddle for redirects or a light rigging point too.

Adam, good idea about tubing. I saw some tubing in the hoses section at the home center place today that looked like it would work, if needed.

Yes, I have used my Pantin and it did work pretty good. I have the older version and it seems no matter what I do the straps always seem to get loose. I really like the tool if it would stay in place. Maybe I should make my own straps. Didn't you make yours Nick?

I had to sew the bottom strap in mine also, the top buckle I live with by tucking first then pull tight.
Learn to sew you'll never regret it:)

I highly recommend a Speedy Stitching Awl.

$14 @ Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Speedrunning lock stitch, y-Stitcher-126600-Sewing-Awl/dp/B000FXT814

Comes with thread and specialized hollow awl/needles. It operates like a handheld sewing machine. Will allow you to simply do a running lock stitch and others. Very easy to use and comes with easy to follow instructions. Makes a strong stitch, quickly. I sewed my chainsaw lanyards and other accessory items with it and have had great results.

You can get them cheaper at harbor freight but its an off-brand and I am not sure what it includes.

Good advice there, great tool and will fix your Pantin woes...as well as give you options on many gear improvements in future. It's easy to sew.

Back