probably a dumb question

Willie, he's running .325, .050 gauge.
I have a roll of it here in my shop if you want to return those and let me send you a loop or two.

Paul, this may have something to do with your wife picking up the parts instead of you. Our local dealer did that to me back about ten years ago....before I was using the saws more than the the guys in my family here. I realized later he was also giving me some inappropriate advice.

The chain was promptly returned, along with its 'designer' shopping bag. That was two brand new chainsaws, and many chains, files, etc. ago.....all purchased elsewhere cuz the guy was a dink.

Hint: I've learned that I don't go to pick up/purchase ANYTHING I don't actually use without having laid hands/eyes on the actual piece at home and where it fits. It helps to know its actual function and to have a ballpark figure on price too....sometimes it's not that the dealer is trying to do any gouging, it's just the WRONG part and time for a phone call.

Mrs B in the Elders?

Huh, there goes the neighborhood :D Welcome Terry!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
kool, thanks for the comments folks. I looked at the bill and it was 54 cents per link for the first chain then 27 cents for the second chain making it average of 40.5 cents per link, the other store I checked today is 48 cents per link, no deals. Sounds like I paid a bit too much but after exchange I didnt get ripped too bad.

I agree, I DO need to be shown how to sharpen a chain, I am thinking that I will get a lesson when I take the chainsaw course from arboriculture canada at the end of the month, if not I will muddle through and hit up Squisher in the fall, wonder how many beers a chain sharpening lesson is worth? :)

FWIW the invoice says 67 links per chain for that 16" bar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the vise is tough, I dont have anywhere at home to mount one up, unless I go outside and slap my stump vise into a landscape tie :shifty: I am a quick study, If I get shown how to do it right once or twice I am sure I will be fine and dandy. :)

I agree, I DO need to be shown how to sharpen a chain, I am thinking that I will get a lesson when I take the chainsaw course from arboriculture canada at the end of the month, if not I will muddle through and hit up Squisher in the fall, wonder how many beers a chain sharpening lesson is worth? :)

FWIW the invoice says 67 links per chain for that 16" bar.

16" bar? I though that was 50 links, could be wrong though that's just off the top of my head? Maybe someone else can chime in on that otherwise I'll dig through my shop later today.

Paul you get up to my place this fall and I'll supply the saws with dull chains and the beers.:lol:

Ok I had to go and look. My 16" bar says 60 links on it. If you're doubting Paul you could count the links on one chain.

Yeah Paul you got the high hard one on that deal. On the chain sharpening thing, it ain't rocket science, grab a file, (remember chain files only cut on he forward stroke) and sharpen the damn chain. You won't get better without practice. The top plate has a little line you can even use as a giude, keep the file level, dont get too high in the tooth or too low and you will be on your way. Now get after it.:)

Skwishey, he's running .325 pitch. Link count is different from the 3/8" that you're running. Slightly smaller file size as well.

Back