Powerline and Highballs

Perhaps you can get a hold of some yourself, handle them and tell us what you think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They seem like they wouldn't be as aerodynamic, dimples and all, and would maybe want to bounce more. Wonder what material they are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was a nice way of saying you are still damp. Or more to the point, there are folks here who have forgotten more than you know. You are on the right track maybe, just don't let your ass get too far ahead of your brain.:evil:

I was soliciting advice because there may be people that have forgotten more than I know. BTW, I did read your post about Dynaglide being the best. I'd hope so as the highest priced throwline on the market, IIRC. I was just asking for a compare and contrast about the three to make a better decision.

Did I say something that led you to conclude ass preceding brain??

That's what you get for asking questions. Limits to your knowledge and experience? Pathetic.

1000's of throws on 2.2 here.......how are those balls...seems like a gimmick?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_W-fIn2QZgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wonder what happens if you miss and hit a branch or the trunk. It seems like they'd ricochet in a voilent way.

I think they should sell them with their own special bag.......
bullie%20bags.jpg

I was soliciting advice because there may be people that have forgotten more than I know. BTW, I did read your post about Dynaglide being the best. I'd hope so as the highest priced throwline on the market, IIRC. I was just asking for a compare and contrast about the three to make a better decision.

Did I say something that led you to conclude ass preceding brain??

dont take him too seriously sst , he's a complete wang sometimes......yes thats a nice word for dick....but im an ass hole so whats it matter..........its just his way......asking for comparisons is always a good thing

I wonder what happens if you miss and hit a branch or the trunk. It seems like they'd ricochet in a voilent way.

I think they will bounce and be dangerous. I use cannonball weights in my launcher and in town it is pretty stupid. They seem to come back with about the same amount of force as when launched.

Advertising being suspect, always, but the Highballs are advertised as having less tendency to ricochet and rebound than bags. Also advertised to fly truer due to the round vs. oval/torpedo shaped bags, which tend to tumble some until line drag straightens them out. Who knows if it's true or hype.

I also want to know in what way one failed the first day.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think about these new weights. Initially I was turned off because they are so much wider than traditional weights. Since the biggest problem I have with my own weights is with them getting stuck in the fork of a branch, it seems to me like these wider/rounder weights would have an even worse problem with that. The second worst problem I have with weights is damaging things below, like when it lands on a roof or a deck. I thought that problem might also be worse with these weights because they are solid and don't spread out on impact like traditional weights do. Have I got this totally wrong?

From Sherrill's site:

"In 1848, it was discovered that imperfections such as scratches and dents on the surface of a golf ball (then made of dried tree sap) caused it to fly straighter and farther. Within 2 years, the dimpled golf ball was born!

While examining pear-shaped fabric throw weights in action, both hand-thrown and launched, we noted that the first few feet of flight consisted of considerable pitch and yaw, until line drag straightened the nose. Such wobble can be visibly detected during a BIG SHOT launch and surely shaves momentum from both techniques. Oblong shapes also play havoc with BIG SHOT launches because they present a lopsided projectile that must be weight-centered carefully to dissuade “flop-out.”

Besides killer accuracy, important to users is maneuverability within a tree’s canopy.

The first thing users will find appealing about the Highball is negative bounce—meaning that ricochets are minimized. Second is the round shape that’s nearly impossible to “wedge” into tight crotches, that pops up nicely over twig clusters, and doesn’t settle on branches during returns—a real annoyance when a large branch is directly beneath the target crotch.

The Highball is not merely easy to maneuver, aerodynamic, and BIG SHOT friendly, it is also tough, easy to spot in foliage, and environmentally friendly. Molded from a high-tenacity modified natural rubber latex jacket and filled with steel shot (not lead), each Highball lasts longer and, if somehow lost, doesn’t present environmental risk to wildlife."

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Throw-Weights_2/HighBall-Throw-Weight-10oz

I understand how the round shape theoretically reduces wobble in the first few feet of flight. What I don't get is how this rounded shape is less likely to jam in a crotch than a skinnier oblong shape. If the weight is wider, then wouldn't it jam more often?

I'm with you, Sean...seems counter-intuitive, for sure.

I think the idea is to keep the thing from getting pulled tightly into a narrow crotch in the first place, so it instead will fall back out the back side and could be dropped to the ground. It wouldn't pull through a tight crotch any better, but might get stuck less, maybe.

I am trying the Weaver (and I know we have discussed this before) and I kind of like them... See how they last as some here have not had the best of luck with them I gathered before. But I don't have as much hard surface to worry about unless I am working in rocks. Sure like how they fly and work through crotches... I need a couple more indestructible ones as well..

Not even knowing the name of a guy does not make it better. Think back a bit when you were posting of your exploits on the buzz. I can forgive, I never forget.

By the by, the balls are meant for high shots out of the Bigshot. As a standard practice, one will disengage the weight before pulling the throw line. Doesn't matter if the shot was successful or not it's just prudent when making high shots. Helps mitigate stuck, or broken bags.

When I originally read the description for these balls (why is that funny to write?) it just seemed so counter intuitive and just down right wrong. That sortof made me want to try one out.

Anyone else buy one? Maybe we need to have someone buy one and start shipping it around the country! I kinda think Tobe would be happy to give us one for us all to try...

I gotta disagree with wiley about the dynaglide. It's just not good. It's heavy and has a lot of friction. It just doesn't like to come down.

love
nick

Back