Pond Pix

Che

Treehouser
Our ponds have gone downhill ever since the drought a few years ago. We'd had to supplement the herd's water since, but this last season they've been watered exclusively on city water. $$$$$

So we finally got this old guy out to fix 'em. He can't hear worth anything, crazy as a loon (happy happy), but when he gets on his dozer he's an artist.

The heavy rains this past week have pretty much filled them all. At least one of the big resident snapping turtles found its way back, too. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :O

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. We've put grass carp in the larger two (top two pix) but it's been years since there was enough water in them for even that. This year I'll be cutting the trees off the dam at another one, hopefully keep it from leaking....I didn't know how big a deal that is. oops.

Che, lovely property. I want to come up and see that part of the world. Any chance of a tour on horseback?

My mom had a pond dug. Unfortunately, it hasn't sealed up yet, so it's not holding very well. They're thinking about bring in some clay.

My mom had a pond dug. Unfortunately, it hasn't sealed up yet, so it's not holding very well. They're thinking about bring in some clay.

Fence the pond securely and then run a few dozen pigs in there for about six months.

Old timers way of sealing ponds....

dunno but thats what some old timers told me.
It must be the hooves compacting the soil and their poop having something to do with it?

Check with the agriculture department- they have here in Ms a cost share program for pond building/ renovation- as well as one for hogs. The farm service guy here told me the same thing with our pond- fence it in and put swine in there and it will seal up. Lots cheaper than a dozer or drilling mud.:)

And you can eat the pigs when you're finished. Mmmmmmmmm, bacon.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

and they fix ponds too?!?!

TS

The second pic looks like a place I use to deer hunt. Nice lookin spread. This makes me homesick, man I miss the farm.
See Ya
Mike

Che, lovely property. I want to come up and see that part of the world. Any chance of a tour on horseback?

No horses, Gigi...but I can move all the hardware off the passenger side of the old truck. There's even seat-cushion left on that side! :D

Using hogs works I've heard. We may go that route for another pond that's not used for a water source for the cattle. My husband wants to get it back to where it was when he was a kid. It's split by the property line, and our neighbor went in half on fixing it a few years ago. It held water for a night or two after a big rain....I've got a picture somewhere.....then leaked right out.

The land around here has many, many sinkholes. I've noticed that many are enlarging and some new ones have shown up. I expect there's some involvement in this area as there's a fairly large network close by this pond.

Our next step is to fence them all and pipe the water to a smaller tank to keep the cows (and their poop) out of the ponds.

THAT would be a pic for posterity.

James, Eat your death food. My Dad just had his annual health evaluation. Heart is strong -49bpm. Cholesterol good, Triglycerides the lowest the Doctors had ever seen. His diet? Bacon, Sausage, most anything fried and pastries.

Why no horses, Che? A PITA?

Too much on my plate the way it is. When they were younger, I told the kids if they'd keep their rooms clean and wanted one, I'd get them horses. They obviously didn't want them enough by the looks of their rooms. :\:

Personally, I'm scared of horses. I'd love to learn how to understand them, but as it is they're too big and too smart for me. Our back neighbor checks his fields and cattle on a horse, I wish I could/would do that. At my age, I'm not sure the 'learning phase' would be the best thing....I don't heal up as easily as I used to.

Sorry Gigi, thirty+ years ago I could have offered you a 'hog ride'.....four legged, not two wheeled....but luckily, I came into the family after they'd switched to cattle.

The fat/cholesterol thing is tied to your genetics. Even on a very low fat (under30g daily) diet, LOTS of excercise, and no excess body fat to speak of (actually, I still don't speak of it and there's plenty)....I couldn't get mine to lower than 260 w/o meds. IMHO, if there's no family history and you've had your levels checked.....moderation is just fine on most everything. Take away too much and you may live longer, but who would want to?

Back