Pollarding and picture critique

I agree, pollarding for size control, coppicing more for firewood production. Also gives good whips for basket weaving etc. :)

Not just firewood-fodder for livestock. Whack it off, let the goats eat all the bark off, cook on the dried out twigs. Do it again next winter or the one after.

I remember reading somewhere that pollarding was actually started as a source of firewood ? Lotsa kindling or something ?

I remember hearing that the practice was started when peasants would "poach" firewood from the landowners. They would climb the trees and cut branches off, and the owners wouldn't notice...:/:

I remember hearing that the practice was started when peasants would "poach" firewood from the landowners. They would climb the trees and cut branches off, and the owners wouldn't notice...:/:

Dirty peasants.

:P:P:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The cherry leaf is poison to goats.
Is that better ? How many of you knew that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah not many folks know it .
It is true though. Bring umm a load of eastern cherry to munch on ,and poof they are all sick.
If they eat to much they die.

Yeah not many folks know it .
It is true though. Bring umm a load of eastern cherry to munch on ,and poof they are all sick.
If they eat to much they die.

Same with horses. Walnut is a no-no as well.

Cherry affects all ruminants, correct? I believe it is only dead cherry leaves, if they eat the leaf off the tree, I think they are ok, but not sure. Who'd a thunk it? Something a goat can't eat.

ive heard mistletoe is bad for sheep also. :D
Lg-PD-1-derail-flag.jpg

If by eastern cherry, you mean Prunus serotina, there is a simple reason for its toxidity.
It contains a stuff called amygdalin, same as bitter almonds.
Amygdalin can be broken down into 5-6 % pure cyanide by an intestinal enzyme called beta-glycosidase. I'm not sure whether it is hydrogen or sodium cyanide, but both are highly toxic.
Thus when the sheep and other poor critters eat it, they die from cyanide poisoning.
Just like Hermann Göring!!

Back