Polartec

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I just want to suggest a product I recently bought.

For us cold weather people, thermals are a must. Until this year I would freeze my arse off working during the cold weather. I picked up some Polartec thermal tops and bottems from Cabella's. They are severe cold weather thermals. The past few weeks we have had some pretty cold and windy weather. With these thermals on, and just a hooded sweatshirt over them, I find myself sweating. I have bean usually just taking the sweatshirt off and working with just the thermals on.

So to anyone in the north needed a pair of warm thermals, I suggest to get some with the Polartec fabric.

Later!

Brendon

Can you get a link from Cabela's for me? I am interested in new winter work clothes also, but there were 150 results when I typed in Polartec.

I 'preciate it!

Slight derail:

Polartec is made by a company in Lawrence Massachusetts, one of the few such garment factories left in the US. In 1995 the factory burned to the ground, this time of year actually right before Christmas. Everyone assumed that the company would take the opportunity to move to Mexico or Asia. Instead the owner, Aaron Feuerstein, paid ALL of his employees salaries until they built a new factory. He ended up losing control of the company after that factory was completed.
Giant of a man IMO.

TS

I remember that, Malden Mills is (was?) the company name, I thoght that was an outstanding gesture myself. Had to wait a few months to get the sweater I was waiting for back then though, probably the only reaso I know of the fire.

da scoop: http://www.opi-inc.com/malden.htm

I love polartec. There are alot of new 'polar fleeces'....but they're not necessarily as good.

Great article, Paul. Can't say I've ever had the opportunity to work for anyone quite like that.

Polartec, that's the 100,200, or 300 right? The ultimate outdoor cold climate fabric, I've got loads of old MEC(Mountain Equipment Co-op) polartec fleeces, the stuff really lasts.:thumbup:

I have a great 300 'jacket' and to be honest my arcteryx fleece is less than half as thick and its as warm, easily.
but yeah, fleece rocks. warm when wet or dry.

Polartec is well spoken here.... it gets frigging cold. Then again, I live for winter sports so my skinny uninsulated ass requires serious thermal clothing.:D

I have an Arcteryx fleece and it's amazing how warm it is considering how thin it is.

I hear ya Leon. I was / am surprised. its as thin as 100 polartec but as warm as 300. I have both and appreciate them well. since it is kinda cool up here, compared to our southern US compadres.

I'll throw in with the fleece appreciation crowd. I really like it for climbing in wet,cold...and any other activity as well.

I'll throw in with the fleece appreciation crowd. I really like it for climbing in wet,cold...and any other activity as well.

Fleece is just part of the equation, it doesn't wick moisture and it doesn't even slow wind down.

Fleece is just part of the equation, it doesn't wick moisture and it doesn't even slow wind down.

Well, I certainly agree with you Mike, though there are variations of fleece that are quite good a holding the wind at bay. Layering is the final solution, of course, as conditions worsen.

But I have found that in cool, damp, misty conditions, as is often the case here in western Oregon, a single layer of lightweight fleece works real well for me...my body heat keeps it from getting too wet and it breathes off my self-induced moisture better than anything else.

yup, layering is the key of course. for the worst its wicking long drawers, fleece then goretex shell. easy to shed layers if the weather improves. and the shell has pockets, to keep my truck keys, so I can go home if it gets worse ;)

There's a fine line between wet and warm, and wet and cold. Polartec, fleece, polypro, nylon shells, all these are just tools for helping us customize to the elements.

Squasher, I thought your current climate control system looked a bit less like nylon and polartec and a little more like this: :D
33800d1156648421-gm-truck-double-din-install-ideas-03.chevrolet.tahoe.int.jpg

Lol heh I do have to jump out now and then you know to get in the bobcat and load sand. After letting it warm right up of course ;)

Back