poison ivy

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 39
  • Views 4K
G

Greenhorn

I've tried to keep it in friction savers but lately using been natural crotches and it seems the rope has gotten nasty in a hurry. Doesnt feel round and is almost a little burned feeling.

Does that sound right for this rope. Before I had blue streak and I couldnt wear the stuff out. I really dont have a use for a rope that you cant occasionally run over some bark etc.

Blue Streak rocks. You'd be hard pressed to find a more durable arbo rope. A few years ago I went through several of the 'hot' new skinny ropes before going back to Blue Streak. Don't mess with perfection.
;)

Poison Ivy is over rated. It milks a ton, and is always twisting below the hitch.

Of the smaller than 1/2" lines, I think Blaze is the best.

Blue Streak rocks. You'd be hard pressed to find a more durable arbo rope. A few years ago I went through several of the 'hot' new skinny ropes before going back to Blue Streak. Don't mess with perfection.
;)

I just got a hank of ArborMaster's BRW, is that one any different from the Blue Streak? It's seems a tad "skinny."

Poison Ivy will glaze pretty easy for a while when run natural crotch. That's been my only problem with it though, and after a while it stops glazing and starts being the best rope EVER.

I just bought some Blaze the other day because my Ivy was getting a little worn and I wanted a 200ft rope. I wish I had stuck with the Ivy.

Of the skinny lines Velocity is the most abrasion resistant that I have tried. I've done quite a bit of natural crotch climbing on Velocity and seems to hold up pretty well to it. Much better than my Blaze, that's for sure.

I'll agree with that Leon.

Velocity is very durable, and holds up well to natural crotching.

Though I am a big fan and advocate of 11mm lines, I typically steer people away from them when I hear they only climb in natural crotches. Half inch ropes just fare so much better when it comes to durability.

Now keep your hands off my Blaze!

love
nick

For true 1/2" dia. lines, you just cant beat the Yale XTC line. Blue streak is good yes, but XTC is vastly superior.

Hahaha vastly superior.

Grape is way better than strawberry jelly, blondes are better than brunettes, and Bow Ties certainly beat Blue Ovals any day.

never could understand a rope colored the same color as foliage when I am working with chain saws and hand saws....

Give me Blaze any day or any other bright colored rope...

Hahaha vastly superior.

Grape is way better than strawberry jelly, blondes are better than brunettes, and Bow Ties certainly beat Blue Ovals any day.

Just stating my opinion based on my experience.

Ya prick! :D :P

im with ya top, i like xtc and safety blue, but havent tried the smaller lines

Poison Ivy will glaze pretty easy for a while when run natural crotch. That's been my only problem with it though, and after a while it stops glazing and starts being the best rope EVER.

[...]

That's been my experience too. It goes past the glazing stage and gets fuzzy then stays that way for a long time. My favorite rope is a 90' section of old, well worn Poison Hi-vy.

I gotta say though, PI sucks for natural crotches because of the rope drag. Velocity or a tight jacket rope like Blue Streak slide a lot better over bark.

Dang, Carl, I totally agree so you must be right...how'd you get so smart????:lol:

You just can't resist sometimes, I know.

Oh, on topic....I use my PI all the time (when I climb..a few times a month)...but with a leather cambium saver, almost never natural crotch. The PI does great for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So everybody's got "an old hank of blue streak" - that cracks me up.

I've got some XTC fire that will be my next line.

Also have taken a step back to yellow tenex for my hitch cord and I love it, just got to remember not to burn out on it!

Haha, that is funny. I've got a 120' hank of blue streak... great rope.

Velocity has become my rope of choice for sure; very little bounce, very light and has been holding up very well. Next rope purchase will definitely be more velocity! (thanks Leon!)

jp:D

I think you'll find that just about every 11mm line will be less durable than a 1/2" line simply because the smaller the diameter is, the less surface area it has to distribute friction over.

I've been climbing on Arbormaster for about 7 years now, and tried out xtc last year. I gotta say, I couldn't tell the difference. Same amount of stretch, same "hand," same knotability. This makes sense since they're made out of the same fibers in the same construction. The same goes for Safety Blue. They're all 1/2" 16 strands, just in different color patterns made by different manufacturers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I cant wait till the sticky stuff wears off my velocity, so far it only comes out for footlocking. Too much effort advancing VT with the sticky crap on there. Tenex and P. Ivy is like butter!

Back