poison ivy

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 39
  • Views 4K
How does a rope glaze and then somehow un-glaze?

Anyway, I was thrilled with my PI at first but like tophopper said, it twists like crazy. Rarely use it natural crotch. Tachyon is next or back to Blaze.

I bought a hank of the Poison Hi-VY today. It doesn't seem to really like the VT with a slack tender at all! I was always having to pull the hitch up or drag the slack rope behind me, which seemed to defeat the purpose? Am I missing something?

Give it a chance Andy. Every rope/Split-tail/knot/human body combination is different. You have to tune it.

I don't care what anybody says, PI is excellent rope. If it glazes it's seeing too much heat just like any other rope. You're a big fella so if you descend fast you're gonna smoke it pretty easily. The glaze will work out if you keep using it in natural crotches... just don't slide down it real fast.

PI will get fuzzy after a while... which I like, but because of that it won't self tend... which I also like. I prefer to climb and shuck the slack by hand. Velocity stays a lot smoother and it really is a great natural crotch rope.

Tachyon

Hello firends,

I climbed for 4 years with velocity ropes. Today I got a new tachyon rope.
I´ll write again when I´ve tested it.

I have used blue streak and have nothing I can say against it. I did most of my climbing on True Blue.....took quite awhile for the stretch to come out of it, so as where I could trust it but I liked it. Using PI HI-V now and it does OK since I put it in a bag, Got really upset with it though, because of the tangles it got into before. Still looking for whatever I like better, and feel safer using.
I do find that I like tying knots in the smaller diameter lines better.

P.I. is good rope...I generally prefer fat and firm like Arbormaster, but I have a hank of P.I. that gets used on taller trees. As Chip indicated-getting a good grab and easy tending with any rope and hitch cord combo can require some tuning. Add a wrap or drop one-test it on the ground. (fifty feet up is a sucky place to discover that your hitch won't catch without manually setting before loading...been there and done that.)

Well, a couple of things we have to keep in mind, I am a fat sucker! I am a total "tard on the ropes! I am switching from aborplex, so some "friction" will take some getting used to:lol:
As for the hitch cord, you will have to ask Brian, this was an unexpected "gift" he handed off to me when he stopped by. I have no idea what it is!

Oh yeah! Justin is right! I was up about 30ft. and ready to come down. I leaned back and set off to come down. NOPE! The VT was LOCKED!! It took some doing to get where I could get it loostened up!

Just climb every day. After a year you'll be a different man... yes, it hurts, but you can handle it.

New ropes typically suck for friction hitches until the waxy coating wears off a little. The cord is 3/8" New England Sta-Set. It's a double braid polyester.

Back