Poison Ivy Relief

Looks like that processor is parked in a little slice of PA paradise...nice looking country.

I have never used a processor, but I think that if I was splitting wood all day, I'd want to be drinking beer too. :/:

I had to get prednisone once for PI (the state plant of Southern IL -that's like West VA, for people that don't know that normal IL has all the corn). It worked wonders and worth every penny, which I can say that even without it having gotten on the Bigshot and throwballs.

:big-laugh: Bigshot and Throwballs...LOL, awesome! Well, my first time around that crap I had it everywhere you can imagine! Worst is in your ears from ear plugs. I had never been around that crap, til Columbia sent me to Northern Florida to fall timber in the swamps. I worked in it about a month and thought I was one of the lucky ones...wrong. Prednisone was the only thing that would touch it, and give any releif, for me. After that, anytime I was around it I would always wear long sleeves, button my shirt to the last button, and I started wearing a George Jetson hat (the goofy lookin one with the ear muffs and screen). When I would get home I would immediately take my clothes off and throw them in the wash, jump in the shower, get wet, and lather up with Fels Naptha....scrub for a good five minutes or so. That would keep it minimized, but I still had to go in once in a while to get on prednisone. I hate prednisone, but I hate being miserable from oak/ivy worse. I tried all kinds of home remedies suggested by coworkers...from manzanita tea rubs, bathing in everything from bleach to baking soda, to peeing on it! I have also tried a lot of the over the counter blockers like ivy block and even had some tablets that dissolved under the tongue that were supposed to make you immuned to it...none of these worked...maybe helped a little?? Anyhow, I feel for anybody that gets it bad :cry:. There are some lucky ones that never get it, or don't get it so bad...I wanted to be one of those.

There are some lucky ones that never get it, or don't get it so bad...I wanted to be one of those.

Actually, that's a sign your autoimmune system is outta wack.

I'm telling ya'll, Oral Ivy will make you practically immune to the shit. You've just gotta get in the ritual of taking it every day. IT WORKS.

Maybe I just did not take it long enough? I tell you what, if we had ivy/oak in Montana, I would be trying about anything.

Actually, that's a sign your autoimmune system is outta wack.

Could you elaborate on that?

I don't get PO, but it seems to me that my autoimmune systen works just fine.

My cuts never get infected, I've not had to take antibiotics for 30+ years untill I got Lyme disease ( Borelitis) last fall.
I have no cavities in my teeth and so on.

You would think that the urushi artists that are around the oil everyday would develop an immunity, but apparently they don't.

Lyme disease! Thats nasty isn't it? If you catch it quick can you cure it?

Its on the rader here in Australia now, several people have it, but the doctors are not fully admitting that its here, the people have had to send their blood to the US to get a proper diagnosis and treatment, unfortunately for some its been too late, they now have paralysis, loss of speech etc etc, a couple have died...

I can't explain it but when I was a boy I used to get poison ivy bad .For some unknown reason after I was around 15 years old something happened .My dad never got it so maybe it's a genetic thing .

Just a few weeks ago I fell and bucked a relatively good sized dead ash that was covered with it .I used a scrapper and de barked the whole thing before I split it .Also removed my clothing in the garage so as not to expose Mrs Smith to it .Not one little problem with myself from that experiance .

I seem to have quite a high tolerance to poison ivy, never have gotten it. That said I try to limit my exposure, my wife is not and has been known to get it off the dog.

Lyme disease! Thats nasty isn't it? If you catch it quick can you cure it?

Its on the rader here in Australia now, several people have it, but the doctors are not fully admitting that its here, the people have had to send their blood to the US to get a proper diagnosis and treatment, unfortunately for some its been too late, they now have paralysis, loss of speech etc etc, a couple have died...

Wow that sucks that it is there also.
Yes if caught early enough it is easy to cure with a long course of antibiotic. The trouble is there are not always good physical indicators of it's infection.
I have been checked for it, and came back negative every time. The dog has been treated twice for it, because I pulled ticks off him that left a bulls-eye.

With the Rhus [related to PI] I mentioned earlier, it never bothered me for years until once in Autumn. It seemed to be the sawdust for me but the homeowner, from the US was a mess long before I got there.

As for Lyme disease you're pretty safe Bermy, bit of a news thing at the moment to take peoples minds of something else.

Couple of cases in Western Australia, but most existing cases brought in from Asia. There's been a pretty good checkup going on, ticks here don't carry it yet and hopefully won't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Butch, never tried the ivarest, couldn't find it. My PI is gone. My wife got it worse then me just from handling my clothes. She got it BAD. She is on the mend.

Correction. She was not on the mend. It got so out of hand that she ended up at the dock and is on a steroid pack now.

If she knew I posted this, she would cut my head off.
IMAG0477.jpg

Just think if you had the chicken pox and the ivy at the same time. :|: I've had both bad, together would be a wipeout.

Back