PNW meteor shower

wiley_p

Climbing Up
Folks here around the PNW, the Perseus meteor show will be good early tomorrow morning. Should be easy to see in the East from about 0200 till 0430. I have always liked the idea of burning rocks from space hurtling into our atmosphere.:evil: Check it out.

I remember as a child my dad waking us up late one night so we could see a meteor shower. It was pretty cool, they were all over the entire skyline. I haven't seen anything like that since.

Too much light pollution here in town, we'd have to drive a good distance from here to get a good view. I used to love watching stars and meteor showers as a firefighter. I don't see the night sky as much as I used to.

I don't miss freezing and boring night shifts on dead out fires though. The last couple of hours until morning were really unpleasant to stay awake for.

Being on an aircraft carrier at night in the middle of the ocean when the ship was dark... it seemed like you could almost see every single star and planet. Those were the best night skys I had ever seen.

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Too much light pollution here in town, we'd have to drive a good distance from here to get a good view. I used to love watching stars and meteor showers as a firefighter. I don't see the night sky as much as I used to.

I don't miss freezing and boring night shifts on dead out fires though. The last couple of hours until morning were really unpleasant to stay awake for.

Pre-dawn, isn't it wonderful? Nice, cold to the bones kind of fun.

too bright here to watch the Perseid shower here too, I keep meaning to try to get out of town around my birthday to watch but so far no luck, maybe next year.

Being on an aircraft carrier at night in the middle of the ocean when the ship was dark... it seemed like you could almost see every single star and planet. Those were the best night skys I had ever seen.

Gary

No kiddin'. I remember New Year's Eve this past year. I was on a cutter off the Equator on a new moon. Dark as hell, darkened ship, every single star in sight and luminescent algae in the water to boot. Cool as can be. 8)

Just before sunrise you get that cool, damp wave of breeze.

I remember seeing a meteor shower in 1965 or 66 this time of year. They were just everywhere. My buddy and I watched untill we actually got tired of seeing them.

They made a big deal out of a upcoming meteor shower once about 1992 or so. I packed up the family and we went out to a farm that I was renting that was pretty isolated and .............nothing. We sat out there in our lawn chairs for a couple of hours and went home.

Back