Petzl ZigZag

I've also held a high esteem for Petzl products, never had an issue with any of them. My sequoia harness is going on 5 years old and is still in good shape. Anxious to hear what they find on closer inspection. I almost bought a zigzag recently but opted for the HH. I'll have to let my buddy know about this recent failure.

jp:D

Actually I messed around with a Zig Zag at the local dealer here. I can't understand how it would fail the way it seems to be described here.

I guess my main gripe is Petzl biners. I find the gate mechanisms bite the dust way faster than other brands. Maybe I'm just too rough with my gear.

On the other hand, I have a Pantin that's probably over 8 years old and still going strong. I guess I shouldn't complain.

I spent a couple of weeks climbing on one & consider the build quality to be petzls usual high quality. The part that apparently failed is substantial in construction. Until there is further information I will not jump to any conclusions as the strongest kit can be broken when maltreated & abused.

... as the strongest kit can be broken when maltreated & abused.

This is so true! If I was to take a WAG on what could have happened it would be a jamming of the carabiner gate within the top rings fallowed buy a shock loading.

I don't like how the zigs and zags could unintentionally get side loaded against a branch or whatnot. Most other mechanical (spiderjack, grigri) or mechanical-hitch (RW, HH) combos could withstand this.

I have been climbing on a ZZ and Rope Wrench combo for about a month.Absolutely sold on the system.

How the alledged breakage occured is quite beyond me.Barring an inherant flaw in the manufacturing process or abuse.

Recall Notice!!!

As of Wednesday, April 24, 2013, Petzl has issued a RECALL ALERT for all ZIGZAG mechanical Prusiks (SKU D22).

Call Petzl America at (801) 926-1500 and ask for the customer service. Petzl’s goal is to contact every ZIGZAG owner and inform them of this Recall Alert and recover all ZIGZAGs currently in the field.

We appreciate your help in this effort. Petzl is currently directing those who have purchased ZIGZAGs to return them directly to Petzl America. To maximize end-user response, Petzl America is offering the following options: Credit towards Petzl product (total equal to the retail price of the ZIGZAG + 30%, including shipping) A complete refund at the purchase price (including taxes and shipping) upon receipt of your ZIGZAG Petzl America will facilitate every step of the ZIGZAG recall, including providing pre-paid UPS Call Tags.

A new version of the ZIGZAG is currently being developed and will be available in January, 2014. Petzl appreciates your help and patience, and we sincerely apologize for the difficult situation this creates for you. Safety is our first priority and we are focused on immediately recovering all ZIGZAGs currently in inventory or in the field.

With sincere apologies,

Petzl America

Freeport Center M-7

PO Box 160447

Clearfield, UT 84016

Did anyone else see this hybrid? Coined the HitchZag, utilized from the recalled zigzag.
Found it while looking to see if an updated version has hit the market yet...
What a cool idea!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back