Petzl ZigZag

dcoffey

TreeHouser
Hello folks,
Just got my ZigZag and have been running it for about a week. Very smooth in Ddrt configuration and I have played around a bit with it using a ZZ/RW/7" stiff tether combo....works just as smooth. ZZ.jpg

... seems pretty bomb proof for safety... never seen one before, how is the cost, bulk, you know general user deails. How is it for limbwalking.. stuff like that

Checked it out some .... being a Grigri user who single lines everything, that baby could make a nice upgrade ... maybe even go back to double line. Question, the video mentioned steel construction, is it all steel or just the parts on the rope?

very nice indeed. The links are made in stainless steel, the body is in aluminum.

Careful, Petzl says that this device is very sensitive. For example, with a remote control line like in a rescue system, you should not use a biner but a knot at the control line's end. The biner is too heavy and activates the ZZ.
So, don't hit the top link with the RW or you are good for a ride down.

I remember saying I was gonna pass on a zigzag but seeing the pics Tony posted on tb made it look pretty nice. Yours too, Donny.

I might wait to see if our local arb shop gets them and try to give it a test run. I can probably sell $275 of stuff I don't use if I really like it...

hahaha

If I do end up getting one at some point we'll do that for sure. I think some sort of try before you buy thing works out well for retailers and customers in the end.

I loan out my mechanical stuff to people I know won't beat on it. Most of the time they end up buying their own. Sometimes it just saves them from blowing a couple hundred bucks. Either way they end up happy and the retailers end up selling expensive stuff to people who wouldn't normally take a chance on a big $$$ item.

It seems about a hundred dollars overpriced.

You're right.
Here is cheaper.
Around 200$ (150€).

Hope to try it soon. Never been too much attracted by Lockjack or Spiderjack, I stick to my Hitch Climber system.
I think this one is worth a ride at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Adam,
You might want to check out NEC-ISA's website. They are hosting a SRT 2-day workshop at Bilthewold Manor in RI on May 4th and 5th. Me, Chris Girard, Eric Whipple , and Dan Mello will be instructing. We are going to have plenty of new "toys" to test out along with 2 new ropes from each of the four major rope companies. It is going to be awesome!!

donny

I should be able to swing that no problem. Eric is a good dude and has been a big help to me already with SRT stuff.

Let me know when you guys are set up for registrations so I can grab a spot!

Check your ZigZag - Accident today in Germany

WARNING IMPORTANT! ACCIDENT WITH ZIGZAG!!
by HOLGER Today at 15:22

I just received the message that a crash related to the PETZL ZIGZAG occurred!
Thomas Bohl, director of the FSB Oerrel was a few hours ago called directly from the victim ... so it's not a rumor!
The climber , an employee of the city of Celle with its brand new ZIGZAG crashed from 5 meters because the TOP GOLDEN attachment loop is broken ... so free fall!
The climbers it goes under the circumstances .... seriously injured but he is not sure in medical treatment. should be clearly understood until the facts you refrain from using the device ... that please also give out to all the users of which you know that they use the best ZIGZAG ... immediately!

HOLGER
Presenter

-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: ATTENTION IMPORTANT! ACCIDENT WITH ZIGZAG!!
by Woody on Today 17:51

Holger, Thanks for the info, even if it is not good news, of course. I hope the climbers is nothing worse happened.
Petzl I just talked to who have been informed and have passed on the warning. I have just checked my (where I've spent the last 3 weeks almost every day) can see and nothing. Even with heavy distortion of the carabiner (torsion) because nothing is happening. Are actually also two eyes (two case halves) which then probably both have to be broken as soon as the faulty device can be examined perhaps say how that could happen. First of all the best and best-well wishes to the casualty!

Thinking five meters is alot better than fifteen or twenty for MOI ... I have not purchased one either, after researching I am quite sure my preferance for single lining everything leads me to buying a HH, maybe even next month

Yea, hope he's ok. I did see a pic of the part of a ZZ being bent in the same area that this one may have broken.

Has anyone held one? Do they seem like they're flimsy? Petzl stuff is usually rock solid.

I trust my life all the time to a Grigri ... although come to think of it, there was a recall on a certain amount of the Grigri 2, not sure if if there was an accident

Well Leon it looks like you're right based on the ZZ.

I've had lots of petzl biners, 3 pantins, a couple hand ascenders, a croll, a grigri, a rig, and some other stuff and it's all held up well. I'm not very easy on my stuff either.

Back