Parking at the Job Site

NickfromWI

King of Splices
We have to get tricky sometimes in parking big trucks around LA. One of my favorite tricks is scheduling the job to happen on the day the street has to be clear for street sweeping. There is a slim chance that we will get a parking ticket- but that's better than the alternative!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427819707.621585.jpg

love
nick

Yeah if the street sweeper can clean up your light stuff you leave behind that's an extra bonus. Last town I worked out of I had the street sweeper on speed dial so he could swing by later and clean up for me.
Plus he could schedule picking up my rounds I leave for him on the curb during after hours.:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know. And it gets even trickier some times. Watch what we have to do to work in Santa Monica:

1- Me or Karina go to City Hall, file permit request for commercial parking (encroachment permit) $75-150
2- We go to jobsite, post signs, 3 days prior to job
3- we call parking enforcement, wait 30-90 minutes for a parking cop to come verify we posted signs properly. They sign encroachment permit
4- we bring the permit BACK TO CITY FU¢KING HALL so they can approve that the permit has been approved.

We charge $300 for that. We have literally charged people $375 total to prune teeny tiny fruit trees in Santa Monica.

love
nick

Up in my area most trees within 10ft or so of the curb are municipal property. The municipality is responsible for all work, some have tree care workers on staff, others contract out. Most municipalities have a Municipal work/contract bylaw permitting lane closures without the paperwork, for reasonable periods of time.

On the rare occasions I get lured into Angouleme to do a job I have to fill out parking permits, sometimes go the night before to put cones out etc.
It's a PITA but I really punish the clients on price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I straight up tell people- we are adding $X Because we have to do all this. We can't do the work without it- but if you'd like to save the money, you can get the permit for us.

I've never had anyone volunteer to get the permits for us

love
nick

d73970e72ec9ce8f2c49090f4c43ffa9.jpg

Securing parking certainly helps assuage fears of liability.

We often schedule jobs in town over the weekend just to ease the burden on town roads. They are narrow here and hardly any public parking.
I have a 2 pine TD this summer booked across from the school. Once School is out, we will have the bus stop across the street from the trees to process the material in. Won't have to pull a permit and won't block traffic. Probably do it on a Sunday too so we have even less interference.

Back