Palm ID?

Bodean

Cali dreamer
Any one know what sps palm this is?

I looked at calphoto.com but couldn't find a match.
Forgive the sepia.

Attachments

• IMG_0342_768x1024.jpg
    IMG_0342_768x1024.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 9
Chinese fan palm? Had one at the house when I was a kid, the trunk wasn't that fat though. You can see it on the left side of this picture. It has a trunk similar to a roebelini (sp).

PA040011edit.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a better picture.

I looked at google images with chinese fan palm, I dunno if they're the same.

maybe

Attachments

• Rincon Valley Palms 024_768x1024.jpg
    Rincon Valley Palms 024_768x1024.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 12
I H8 palms. There are so many varieties upon varieties. Looks like the one in your original pic had thin string like ends on the leaves no?

That particular one does better in cooler climates. It is also the first palm I ever climbed! I remember that it was this enough that I had to be careful how I shifted my weight up top!

Here's a pic from a SUPER talk one I climbed a couple years ago. In LA this species doesn't often go over 15 or 20 feet. This one was almost 30.

I'm no palm expert, though. I've flipped through some palm id books and I'm not sure i'd ever be able to keep them all straight. Every palm has 20 others that look almost just like it.

love
nick

Attachments

• CIMG6021.JPG
    CIMG6021.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 50
I guessed windmill too, the only couple of hardy-ish palms around here are windmill and fan palm. the rest are too sketchy to try to over winter.

John thinks it is some type of hybrid Washingtonia. I thought it was a washy also, but the trunk just did not ring true for me. Can you get a close up of the trunk?

Gigi, I think Nick and Steve are correct. The windmill and european fan are similar, but the european fan is smaller with a skinnier trunk and smaller fronds.

Gigi- washingtonia don't have all that fuzzy hairy stuff all over the base of the trunks like the windmill do. Based on the size of the tree (guessing from the pic) and the presence of the fuzzies, I'm not thinking it is either W. filifera or W. robusta (the only two washingtonias I know).

Looks at me talking about palms like I know a little about them!!!

love
nick

I pruned four Washingtonia robusa's yesterday. Here's one before and after shot. Took about 45 min, each. Used an adjustable false croch setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1599_.jpg
    IMG_1599_.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1601_.jpg
    IMG_1601_.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 29
Were you able to get in those palms from the roof? Looks like it would have been a lot easier than climbing over or through that huge skirt. In years past I've been known to take a ladder up on the roof and use it to access the top of some tall washies.
;)

Were you able to get in those palms from the roof? Looks like it would have been a lot easier than climbing over or through that huge skirt. In years past I've been known to take a ladder up on the roof and use it to access the top of some tall washies.

No, the adjustable false croch is very fast and safe. It takes about 10min to set the bull rope & climbing line, and about 2-3min to climb over the skirt.

Back