Palm ID?

I tried setting ropes in palms several times in the past, only succeeded about half the time. Even when I got the throwline through the head, it would pull down tight between the fronds and I couldn't pull a rope through the head. Your only chance was for the throwline to get caught on a frond and stay up out of the head until you got the rope through. If the rope didn't catch on the thorns, that is. :X

Bucket truck is the only way I do them any more. ;)

I use this setup every week, and no problems. The trick is to move away from the palm when pulling the rope, giving a better angle. This was in a back yard, no truck access. The other choices would be spike it, (very dangerous if the skirt comes loose), or use a ladder,(also dangerous if the skirt comes loose). It works great for me, and i can charge a good price. Starting price is 195.00 and can go up to 350.00.

That works! Most folks won't charge more than $50-$75 per palm around here.

I trimmed 14 washies last month that were 45-50' tall and had NEVER been trimmed. Full skirts to the ground. I had over 6 hours on that one and that was cutting out of the bucket truck. I don't know what the job sold for, I just get my normal hourly rates.

What? Those are my favorite palms to climb! I like trimming them wearing shorts and no shirt, just to keep cool.

Yea, the blood dripping down your arms and legs would keep you cool.

Most folks won't charge more than $50-$75 per palm around here.
Thats about what i charge to clean coconut palms

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear "black widow" is the line of choice for setting a block in a palm.

Pruning the palm isn't half as long as the cleanup, in my opinion.
Maybe i'm cleaning too much.

I hear "black widow" is the line of choice for setting a block in a palm.

I tried the black widow, but I have no confidence in a line that small. I use 1/2 stable braid & the omni swivel block.

I also got the black widow stuck in the tree once. That never happened with the 1/2".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
sweet.

I've never used it, just heard.
We use a stable braid, kermantle.

The omni swivel sounds cool.

Do you change ends of the line for both sides of the tree?

or just work both sides from one side of the tree?

I only climbed one palm using a rope over the top. I cheated and got within 20' with my bucket and threw the rope over the canopy. I used 1/2" arborplex and I pulled up a rigging pulley with a climbing rope in it. It is surprisingly easy to work the other side of the tree, the only bad thing about the way I did it was you are always cutting close to your rope. About half way up my guys started helping me pull on the rope, I didn't comlain.

Here is a picture of a windmill palm from some palm tree website.

Attachments

• Windmill_Palm_1-3.jpg
    Windmill_Palm_1-3.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 32
Come on down, between vl2007 and Dot Palm, we could let you have all the fun you wanted! All the way from Key Largo to Key West!

Gigi, yea, see alot of Washingtonia's around with full skirts, so homeowners must like the look, or cann't afford to have them cleaned.

Gigi, yea, see alot of Washingtonia's around with full skirts, so homeowners must like the look, or cann't afford to have them cleaned.

We had a washy in our yard that had a perfect skirt, went all the way to the ground, until one of our guys took it upon himself to clean it. I had not noticed it till he pulls up in our yard all proud of himself, saying "look what I did". Nice job, Marvin. :what:
What are you gonna do but :)?

That's the way all the skinny palms around here are. I don't think I've seen a single one that's been trimmed. It's like the people here don't pay them any attention or GAS.

Back