OSHA seeks input on tree care operations

• Thread starter Mr. Sir
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 2K
M

Mr. Sir

The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has published an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR) addressing tree care operations, including hazards, fatalities and control measures. OSHA is requesting data, information and comments on effective measures to control hazards in tree care operations and prevent injuries and fatalities.

The International Society of Arboriculture, Secretariat for the American National Standards Institute's Accredited Standards Committee (Z133), announced that an OSHA representative met with the Z133 Committee on October 30th, 2008. The Z133 committee includes representatives from the tree care industry, labor, the academic community, government, equipment manufacturers, insurance carriers, and other interested groups and individuals.

OSHA requests comment on regulatory alternatives to reduce injuries and fatalities, as well as what requirements a standard addressing hazards in this industry should include and the potential costs and benefits of such a standard. Comments must be submitted by Wednesday, December 17, 2008.

ISA, TCIA, SMA, SCA, and ASCA strongly believe that any standard for tree care operations developed by OSHA should be based on the ANSI Z133 standard. Also, proper training is absolutely essential in the safe practice of tree care operations. In addition to strong, clear, and fair safety standards, widespread education in the use and content of those standards is key to reducing the rate of industry accidents and fatalities.

ISA is making an official statement to OSHA on these issues and recommend support of the Z133 standards to OSHA.

Visit www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=16667 for additional details, www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=090000648070ccf8 for ways to comment, and www.osha.gov/briefing.html to the OSHA newsroom website.

Thank you for your continuing support of arboriculture.

Man I'm lost with all of this. In the September 2008 issue of TCI Magazine there's a article that says OSHA "Has declared Modern Arborculture out of Compliance" What about state Arborist lic. do we still need them? Sounds like from your post somethings in the works.

I think OSHA's got more shit then the Sewage and Water Board.

As most safety enforcement institutions go OSHA has good intentions, but their delivery is off key.

Somewhat inevitably offkey-They speak the most dreaded phrases in the English Language "We are from the government and we are here to help you." The only rational repopnses to that are negative (fear ,loathing, anger, dread,resentment etc.).

better pay attention...the osha or cdf people may decide that sectioning down big trees is not ok for arbs to do anymore, imagine not being able to put 20's in peoples yards......

oh yeah osha doesnt worry about rural america...just you guys in the big city's

participate or we may loose some of our fun

better pay attention...the osha or cdf people may decide that sectioning down big trees is not ok for arbs to do anymore,...

Wouldn't they then have to come up with a better option? And, what would that be? ...always use a crane? ...always use a spider lift or something? For some reason, I don't think they will be revising things THAT drastically. More likely, I can see them trying to fill in gaps between the ANSI standards and OSHA's lack of any real standards for tree care. Who knows... maybe they'll quit grouping us with either loggers or landscapers, which I could see opening up a better dialog with our insurance co. because they'll be able to better define what we're doing and what safety rules we're following, etc...

...I dunno.

As most safety enforcement institutions go OSHA has good intentions, but their delivery is off key.
It seems they are more concerned about leveeing fines than correcting certain problems . Let me tell you from experiance they will find a way to try and establish blame if you ever experiance a serious job site injury or worse a fatality .

You have never seen a finer example of a bureauracy in action until you have been grilled by a bunch of OSHA inspectors on an inquiry . I had to threaten those bastards with a lawsuit after about sitting through about 6 hours of the inquisition :X

Back