Oregon Power Sharp

Hey Willie: Give your Father-in-Law one of them high-dollar German files of yours and show him the strokes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jed! Whats shakin?

He hardly knows when his chain is dull, always amazed when I tune em up

Yeah Willie, I get the point. My dad simply refuses to sharpen. For him it's like fingernails on the chalkboard or something--he doesn't know what the heck he's doin.

Same old stuff is up. Why don't you educate us inbreds on how to port our saws--computer tutorial style. I saw your diagram for the fancy humbolt, and it was really impressive!

Sure was. All my work clothes were wool ,one piece wool underwear, socks, wool liners in my 1 finger leather mitts, wool hardhat liner, wool safety pants [nylon on warmer days].

Willard.
Wool because of it's nature has the abilty to hold warmth weather it's wet or dry .

Much ado about some of the synthetics in recent year but nothing so far has contributed to the warmth of mankind like the lowly old sheep .Merino or Suffolk .BTW I have a Merino vest that on the rare occasion it gets cold enough I do wear it .If you can keep the torso warm the rest of the body can cope .

My threads are in here Jed, theres much better help than I would be on this forum. Grab an old saw and start a thread, thats what I did

From info I gathered the Oregon Power Sharp chain which is LoPro 3/8", cuts the same speed as Oregon's regular 91 VXL 3/8 LoPro chain. Tests were done where the Power Sharp chain cut into a cement cinder block full width for a few seconds leaving a cut in the block. Then the shapener was put on, the chain run at full rpm for 4 seconds and the chain would cut like new again [as fast as the regular 3/8 lopro.]
Good gimic but what I see is when sharpening the cutter down from the top the gullet size gets smaller which would hinder chip removal and the chain shouldn't cut as fast as new.
Another thing how long would it hold an edge? With the grinding on top there wouldn't be any chrome on the cutting edge, only raw steel. Unless they made the cutter out of impregnated chrome, still wouldn't hold a good edge like a layer of chrome would though.
I would like to see this chain in full 3/8" or even .325 then I could see more people have a use for it.

Willard.

Carbide requires a special stone, and not much in the way of sparks comes off it.

Willard, you don't much like 3/8" lo pro I gather.

Not carbide, looks interesting though
specialty_91lx_detail.jpg

ps3.jpg

Carbide requires a special stone, and not much in the way of sparks comes off it.

Willard, you don't much like 3/8" lo pro I gather.
Yes carbide requires a green stone which throws no sparks. The Power sharp stone is just a regular pink stone for grinding steel. I sharpen my stump grinder teeth with a green stone [not cheap] on a bench grinder.
The chain has a carbide link on it for dressing the stone which is a smart design. The bar nose has just the right radius to make this system work but can be still used if the owner decides to go back to regular LoPro chain.
Yes back in the day 3/8" LoPro chain was just put on little underpowered weekender saws, cheap to make but still good profit for the dealer to sell it. When all the ansi rules and safety regs came out in the mid 1980s , 1/4" chain took a back seat in the pro market. The "extended pitch" design of the LoPro cutter [stretched out cutter in length for its height] is next to impossible to produce kickback, add a whack of more safety links and you now have a chain that cuts poorly and your 90 year granny can use it.
Willard.

Holy Chit :O I seen these in Menard's today shopping. 16" 56dl 3/8 LP chain bar and sharpener $70, then if you need a new stone and chain 56dl $40. :|:

yeah right.........:roll:

Take it or leave it .This is one of the things that the sawchain industry has to do to make money especially in these very tough times.
Droves of consumers who cruise the isles of the giant hardware stores who need that sawchain for their little project. They don't know the first thing about maintaining a sawchain let alone have any level of skill to do it. They know the dealer charges $10 for one chain sharpening, maybe 4 sharpenings per chain= $40. They think "Hell i can buy this doo- dad self sharpening setup for $70 one time then $30 there after, now I can do it my self and save money, plus I don't need a spare chain for backup".
Nothing new here, same thing was pushed onto the consumer 44 years ago. Only difference back then was you had to buy the whole rinky dink chainsaw.

Willard.

So I called Baileys this AM (actually 3 times over the last week trying to ask a question) and the guy flat said they suck. He was also in a bad mood on the phone. Kinda makes me not want to do business there this last week but I do appreciate his blunt opinion. Why would they carry and advertise a product they don't beleive in? I think Bill would be dissapointed in my recent experience were he still around

My last few purchases from Bailey's have been rather meh. They no longer have any decent alternatives to Oregon when shopping for bars and I keep finding misleading info on different products. I cancelled my last order after finding the exact same picture for two different carabiners with different specs and prices.

Do you go through the homepage, when you buy stuff from them?

I deal directly with Sam Bailey and he has always treated me very well.
Of course it might help that I usually buy about a ton of stuff at once;)

I haven't been too happy with them either. I ordered a few things last month and it took forever to get here. I ordered early on a Friday and they didn't process the order until late the following Monday. Then it took a week to get here once they shipped it. I know that once they ship it they can't control how fast it gets to you, but they could get it out a little faster.

I'll stick with WesSpur when ever possible.

Logging y'all say? Doing that during the week currently as many of you know since tree work is hurting locally. I liked it at first but have decided its not me. Im running a Deere 648GIII grapple skidder and doing a lot of falling and topping. It seems like the same thing, over, and over, and over, and over. Myself, and one other fella, have put out 1,000,000 feet since june on the tract we are on. I dont know how that compares but it has put a hurting on me. Im eager to be back to climbing full time.

Everything turns into the same thing over and over and over

You have a good point. But with tree work, its always a new tree, new property, new challenge. Logging is cool and all. But Im just growing tired of being in the same patch of woods week to week. The skidder I use is a nuisance too. I feel its a bit big for a beginner to use for selective timbering.

Willie, when making enquiries at Baileys, talk to Gregg or do it in Spanish. ;)

I had some minor problems, but telling them about it sorted it right out, and I received an email telling me to let them know if anything comes up again...I think from Sam Bailey. Gregg is cool and really on the ball. He's the head mechanic though, so sales things I doubt are much in his domain. If you know him, he will try to help you, has been my experience.

Driving a skidder grows old quick imo. Grapple or line it sucks bigtime after a short while. Real logging is highleading. Everything else is just childsplay.:D

Driving a skidder grows old quick imo. Grapple or line it sucks bigtime after a short while. Real logging is highleading. Everything else is just childsplay.:D

I ran an old Franklin skidder for a friend of mine when he needed an extra guy a few years back. It was fun for a day or so. After that, it was just boring and dusty.

Back