online picture finder

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
if you have an image apparently you can search for other appearances of it online, I found this on anothersite that I surf once in again.

"Here is a great search tool to use on the web, it's called tineye. There is a utility you can install on Firefox that I use very often. You just right click on an image and choose tineye and a page comes up with all the websites that have the same picture available. The filesize and dimensions dont matter so you may find a larger version of the same picture."

http://tineye.com/

Glad you asked that, Che. I was going to, but just figured that somewhere, someplace, somehow, it could have application. :)

If a person posts a pic and says they took it, easy to check where else it might be appearing, to possibly quash their claim.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LJ. yup!
Che, exactly. some pics are photoshopped, this might help you see the other versions of a photo, prior to shopping.
WWB, yeah, good thought.

:)

Or if say some one uses a pic that some one took of an accident they were in with out permission:/:

Question - if you post a photo online as an anonymous or Alternate name as I do - is that not really free for the using? What is the legal claim that makes is all yours and not for anyone else to use, unless it is copyrighted or Protected from copy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
if its posted in an online forum, good luck trying to protect it as your property.

I tried that application before and it wasn't very good at the time. I think the main reason for it is to find better quality images. You are writing a report on a painting but all you have is a 16K thumbnail and you need a high resolution pict. Or at least that's what I imagine it would be used for.

Question - if you post a photo online as an anonymous or Alternate name as I do - is that not really free for the using? What is the legal claim that makes is all yours and not for anyone else to use, unless it is copyrighted or Protected from copy?

A picture you have taken remains your property. No one can legally use your photo that you took with out your permission.
This was an issue I experianced & found out about here. An arborist magizine used a pic I had taken of my self after an accident. With out my permission

An arborist magizine used a pic I had taken of my self after an accident. With out my permission

Did they give you any $ for it after the fact?

Two issues...

COPYRIGHT - If you shot it, you own the sole right to reproduce it in ANY way. You don't have to file a copyright, it's just a lot better if you wind up in court. It doesn't matter where or how you post it, it is illegal for someone else to reproduce it unless you give or sell them permission. Copyright is actually a bundle of rights that can be transferred or shared separately. You can sell the right to print it on paper without giving the right to post it on the net. Posting a LINK to an image on another website is legally foggy at the moment, lots of fighting about it going on right now.

If you post it on a site like Facebook you may have given them full, non-exclusive copyrights when when you clicked 'Yes, I agree' after not reading their site use agreement.

2nd issue, PRIVACY - If you take a picture of someone or something in a specific set of circumstances regarded as legally private, you may not legally display the image publicly without the permission of the person or the owner of the thing.

Copyright and privacy are violated on the net millions of times every week. It's really tough to enforce, especially if the copyright isn't on file with the US Copyright Office.

The last time I looked at Tineye, they only search based on FILE NAME, not the image pixels so, if the name was changed, the image won't show up in the search. Could be different now though.

If you post images on line you pretty much give them away. Literally any image can be right clicked, copied and saved.

I post low resolution images for that reason. I see many people putting copyright watermarks on the images they post, but it still doesn't stop someone from copying it off the internet.

The random pictures thread is one of my favs for saving cool pics. And some questionable ones too.

Thanks all

Back