Old Crosscut Saws

The arts of wooden ship building ,post and beam construction,cooperage and a few others who work with wood are almost a dying art in this age of CNC type machinery .If they aren't preserved in some form in time they will be lost forever .

This same kind of applies to the metal related crafts too .For example the old gent who first told me of hobbing a worm gear on an engine lathe was 85 years old .

I liked Brian's simile so much I had to try it. Plus my Christmas avatar.

I've got a buzz saw blade with my picture paited on while I was sitting on a John -Deere A .

Come on Al just one pic of the painting.
impatient2.gif

8): We got all winter Al :cry: :thumbup:

Just like my new drywall is waiting on me to finish sanding :lol::lol::lol:

I might be able to get on it Sunday .They plan on grouting the first of the week so I'm assuming it all gets laid ,layed ,set , by weeks end .

If memory serves me correctly those old cross cuts were often forge welded together to get those hugely long saws . Fact is I do believe the first band saw rig was actually a bunch of forge welded cross cuts as the circle mills just plane could cut anything that large unless the blade were 30 feet across .Imagine that .Lawdy that would take an 8" arbor and a huge steam engine to roll the thing over let alone saw anything with it .

Just in case someone here was interested or in need.

I know where there is a like new drag saw blade for $30. Shipping it might be way over the budget though.

Back