Old Crosscut Saws

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
I picked this old 6 footer up yesterday for a song. Handles are in excellent shape, and the cutters are still sharp. Thinking about touchin' them up with a file, and then see what this old baby will do.

Anybody else have any of these?

Gary

Attachments

• 6 footer 003.JPG
    6 footer 003.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 6 footer 002.JPG
    6 footer 002.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 6 footer 001.JPG
    6 footer 001.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 6 footer 002.JPG
    6 footer 002.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 7
I have one hanging out in the barn. When I was pretty young-about 5 I would say-I remember my Mom and Dad bucking a log with it. I don't know if the chainsaw was broken or what, but I was amazed you could cut a log that big with a handsaw.

You can see one end of mine in this pic from my thread on the 064 I so happily acquired this past summer. I think mine is about 60 inches.

Attachments

• stihl 064 005.jpg
    stihl 064 005.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 8
Here's mine!

I use it when my Silky gets dull.

Attachments

• crosscut-saw-OLD 010 (Medium).jpg
    crosscut-saw-OLD 010 (Medium).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7
  • crosscut-saw-OLD 012 (Medium).jpg
    crosscut-saw-OLD 012 (Medium).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 8
I have one just like yours Gary. Should we bring them to next years get together and a have a cutting comp?

I used a 7 ft crosscut to log out trails in wilderness areas for the FS for 3 years. I hope I never have to touch one of those things again. It's hard to be nostalgic over something that caused so much pain and agony.

When I was working with one every day, I carried it over one shoulder using the pad from my backpack shoulder strap to cushion the bone underneath. We walked from one tree to the next with one hand on the saw handle in front and the other hand holding an axe or shovel. I remember one time trying to cross a stream with that thing on my shoulder and the handle behind me dipped down into the water when I got out in the middle. The force of the water yanked the handle in front of me out of my hand and pulled the whole saw around my neck until it finally fell. Luckily the teeth got snagged in my shoulder strap, or else it would have cut my head off instead.

I remember another time I cut my partner's leg pretty badly with the saw one day while cutting a log. The trailhead was miles away up several long steep hills, and there was no question of getting him to a hospital for stitches. One of the guys on the crew used his tent repair kit and some dental floss to do stitches that night around the campfire. Then we split up his pack so he wouldn't have to carry anything the next day as we walked out. By the time we got to the trailhead, he had lost a lot of blood and was white as a ghost. I thought we might have to carry him, but he made it.

Then there was the time we got both our crosscuts pinched in a 5 ft + diameter log and had to spend 2 days chopping them out with axes.

If I never see another one of those damn things again, it'll be too soon.

I have some in collection. I think about 20 or so... A bit tricky to file so read up a bit so you don't make a mess of it.
You might have to make a tool or two to use when you file. I wish I knew more on this, it is really fun to get them to cut right.

Hardest is to not make cuts that weaken the tooth. I have some tools for this. There are usually 6-9 teeth in each sequence.
It is easier to do same tooth in all sequences so angles and heights don't get messed up.
I could take some pic's if there is interest...

Isn't it more than a sharpening they need, don't you have adjust the set of the teeth, how they flair off center.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep... the teeth need to be "set" after filing. My Gramps had a collection of devices used to set the teeth on these old saws. Alas... nobody knows where they went after he passed.

Gary

I've got one in the shed and two in my pappys barn plus a setter which I've never used .I don't even know where it's at at the moment .

We actually used one about 1980-81 to drop a dead oak as we had nothing with enough bar at the time for a 6 footer .Of course we carved on it with the chainsaws first . Lot of work ,I'll tell ya that .

Before I forget they make a special file for cross cuts with no teeth on the edges .MacMaster -Carr sells them .

We have a couple around here some place not as long as that one though. I have all the old antique saws, sickles and scythes stuffed up on top of the big tall nut and bolt bins or hanging in the rafters. Like a true hoarder everything is stacked, junk upon junk. All part of a lifelong collection of things that can cut and maim a body.

Dang Gary are you regressing back in time or something. Colllecting old gear drive macs and now misery whips. Think it is time for you to go to a shrink:lol: What is next stone axes from the Neolithic period. :D: Just rattling your cage a little;)

Since the subject of how to sharpen and set saw teeth has come up. Anyone know anything about how to sharpen a small circular saw blade like you woud use for a small saw mill. I tried on the net to find info but couldn't fine exactly what i was looking for.

I have seen some but they were always asking more than this titewad would pay

I have one in the shed as well , about five foot .... teeth would still cut probably , one beat handle though. I've often thought of fixing the handle and trying it out. After Sean's post maybe not ...

I got a couple of 'em.

Pretty cool having a piece of history like that.

I'd really like to see some info on how to sharpen and set the teeth, if possible.

I'm watching this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FrYsFlx3OSY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FrYsFlx3OSY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Since the subject of how to sharpen and set saw teeth has come up. Anyone know anything about how to sharpen a small circular saw blade like you woud use for a small saw mill. I tried on the net to find info but couldn't fine exactly what i was looking for.
Well you have to or should use that file I mention about sharpening cross cuts .The saw also might need "hammered " or swedged .They actually beat on the thing to make it slightly convex because as it heats up it distorts a little .I have no idea how to do it but I do have a swedging hammer . I do know that weather it's a right hand feed mill or left determines the direction of swedging .

Wow, he took that thing back hard. I don't know if I have the patience to do all that.

That was a lot more effort than I would have thought.

The spider gauge is cool.

Back