Official Guns Thread

I spoke with my Father this evening. He shot a competition over the weekend,shot 107 straight ( first barrel) 13 second barrel ,thats out of 120 targets so he didnt drop a single clay. But that performance didn't even see him on the podium out of 150 shooters.

He is 77 years of age.

It took 8 weeks to get my smith mag's in from the 3 free mag promotion IMG_20230913_133039.jpg
I was surprised they are 15rnd mag's my other mag's are 10 and 13rnd IMG_20230915_171418.jpg
It took 6 weeks to get my range bag and 3 extra mag's for buying a tx .22 compact
Going back to iron sights
The girls don't like the dots
I thought they would.

I guess you can't expect much better from .22lr at 75yds. Green is a semi auto, pink is a bolt action. Minimal wind if any, and I was only shaking within the diamond except for a few times I think I popped them off in the orange circle, not like it mattered. Also tested some Winchester super suppressed 45gr, and they cycled the semi auto and had good accuracy at 75yds without the super sonic whip crack. One or 2 may have been just brushing the speed of sound initially.

20231003_111419 (913x1024).jpg

Last edited:
I found I like cotton balls for cleaning bores. I have a .22 swab, but I can't easily clean it each time I run it through until it comes out clean, and I don't have a small enough patch holder. I prefer unrolling a cotton ball, twisting it up and stuffing it in the barrel, then push it back and forth with the rod. After pushing both ways it bunches up really tight for a good scrub, better than the swab in my opinion.

I found I like cotton balls for cleaning bores. I have a .22 swab, but I can't easily clean it each time I run it through until it comes out clean, and I don't have a small enough patch holder. I prefer unrolling a cotton ball, twisting it up and stuffing it in the barrel, then push it back and forth with the rod. After pushing both ways it bunches up really tight for a good scrub, better than the swab in my opinion.
How often do you clean the bore on your .22?

I have been shooting 30 years and can't remember cleaning a single bore.You probably know this but .22 bullets are externally lubricated which negates the need for cleaning by and large.

How often do you clean the bore on your .22?

I have been shooting 30 years and can't remember cleaning a single bore.You probably know this but .22 bullets are externally lubricated which negates the need for cleaning by and large.
I'm not great about cleaning my guns after use, but I've always heard .22lr is dirty. Some say accuracy can suffer from buildup, though I think each bullet probably cleans the bore just as much as it dirties it. I'm not planning on using them for a while, but did shoot about 100 rounds through each. It sure got the bolts dirty, and bits of primer and powder in the bores.

I find the difference in rifling between the two rifles interesting. The one on the rightseems just a little more accurate, shorter barrel, and it could have a slower twist rate, but I didn't check it. It's supposed to be 16, but I measured the other to be about 15 or just under, when its also supposed to be 1 in 16".

Attachments

• 20231010_084948.jpg
    20231010_084948.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231010_084805.jpg
    20231010_084805.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm not great about cleaning my guns after use, but I've always heard .22lr is dirty. Some say accuracy can suffer from buildup, though I think each bullet probably cleans the bore just as much as it dirties it. I'm not planning on using them for a while, but did shoot about 100 rounds through each. It sure got the bolts dirty, and bits of primer and powder in the bores.

I find the difference in rifling between the two rifles interesting. The one on the rightseems just a little more accurate, shorter barrel, and it could have a slower twist rate, but I didn't check it. It's supposed to be 16, but I measured the other to be about 15 or just under, when its also supposed to be 1 in 16".
Rifling on the left is "Micro groove" the right is regular cut rifling.
They say the best barrel length for accuracy in a .22 is between 14 and 16" and the entire powder charge is combusted after about 8".Curiously most .22 target ammo exits the muzzle of a pistol at subsonic speeds.

Years ago back home a company imported a batch of Anschutz .22 rifles with extra long barrels,I cant remember the actual length but they might have been 24". They were part of an order for somewhere in the middle east and it was discovered that they had a lower velocity than a normal length barrel as the bullet was "dragging" in the bore because it was running out of thrust.

October is Womens Brest Cancer Awareness month. We were trying to start a bi- annual fund rasing event for Womens health and safety and well being for our community. We will have another in May before mothers day.

Back