"Obsolete" Stihl parts help

How about that A/C filter material that looks like foam for the portable a/c or the better heater filters for your furnace (white 90-120 day ones).

K&N makes some nice prefilter material.

There is probabley enough material in a large pleated air filter for a furnace to make a dozen or more filters for a small engine .A good one is maybe 15 bucks . The reason they are pleated is two fold .One it adds more strength and two it adds more surface area . You wouldn't really need it pleated ,just a single layer would work .

Wonder how a piece of urethane foam would work, like the material that upholsterers use? It is available in different densities. You cut cut it to slightly oversize and possibly jam it under the cover on a lot of saw models, so it would remain in place and hopefully not interfere with the throttle or choke linkage.

Careful, some foams self destroy in time and send small bits everywhere or others become tacky and collapse. Not a good deal for the engine.

The real old S-25 Poulans which were in their day the greatest trim saw of the time just used a piece of synthetic sponge .What ever material it was would withstand gasoline .If it got too funky you just cut another from a 29 cent sponge you could by at the grocery store .

If you sucked a little bit of it through the saw engine it just blew it out the exhaust .

Keep in mind there's a lot of difference between what a saw has to contend with than a weed wacker .Poor old saw is right down and dirty in it where a weed wacker engine is up in a more clean air .

Ummmmmmm That depends...
Often times you are in a cloud of dust with a weed whacker in a more dryer environment like I live in. Green grass will also clog a filter as it emits a fine watery mist when cut. Thistle down will clog a filter toot sweet and then you have dirt trying to get past the sides of the filter.
Sooooooo not necessarily Al.

I was thinking exactly the same things, Stephen. My weed whacker filter takes far more attention than those on my chainsaws.

Partly because they are smaller surface area and of poorer design, I think, but the conditions are easily as bad imo.

The FS250 filters have more area than my Stihl or Husky saws and require more attention. The smaller CC weed eaters do have smaller area than the saws.

Well geeze half of you are in the California desert,what do you expect .:lol: Conversely I seldom do anything to my filter on the wacker .Then again I don't try to mow down 5 acres of weeds with it either .

Never been accused of living in the desert before...:D

Still, at the time of year when I use the whacker the most, it's dry enough for the string cutter to generate plenty of floating veg detritus and dust, around my place.

It's bone dry here too .I got tired of fooling with that damned string and went to nylon blades some time ago . I think I could cut down a small tree given enough time . I buy like 1 package a year for about 5 bucks 9 or 12 blades depending on who made them ,Lowes .

Back