"Obsolete" Stihl parts help

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I saved an older Stihl FS80AV from the dumpster because of someones lack of interest.

Threw a new fuel line, and new fuel hose assembly on in the tank. It fires, and ran, although the primer bulb (aka "cap" as stihl calls it) is cracked from time. It's not your standard primer bulb, but not out of the ordinary. Ordered it from the dealer, they tell me it's now obsolete and they can't get it.

Anyone have any advice? I'm wondering if there is a cross reference through Stens, but not sure how I can find it. I thought I saw them on ebay, but now I'm not finding anything.

I really need a week wacker, so I bought a head for it, and planned on having a decent weed wacker for under $40 is what I'd have into it. So far I have $15 into it, so it's not a big loss, but I'd like to get it going.

I know there are a few Stihl geniuses, I was wondering if anyone can help?

The obsolete part number is 4112 358 2500

Bypass it and see if it even needs it...it that fails, maybe plumb in an in-line primer bulb from a small outboard motor auxilary fuel tank?

You have to get the carb number and who made it ,Tillotson ,Walbro ,Zama whatever .It will be some place on the carb .Get that and I'll find you the primer .Better yet you find it and surf the net .It's out there some place .

On that though in the morning if it's in my IPL,s I'll do a search and get back .:)

He has the part number, Al. It's a matter of finding an no-longer-available-from-the-manufacturer part...or figuring out a workaround, which you are the master at!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not carb mounted, Al. It's mounted on the side of the gas tank, it's own assembly.

Burn, I gave what you suggested a search, and turns out Walbro makes a primer bulb assembly I might be able to make work!

!BiBRvw!!mk~$(KGrHqUH-CsEsL,gljoTBLMRyUkzKw~~_35.JPG

The primer that sits on the carb ?? :?
If so... They make after market I have bought them.. Golden Eagle I believe carries them.

Type in Stihl FS80 into Ebay and there are some there as well .....

OH! I guess not!

I can get something like that over here, screws to the side, if nothing else works for you. Got one for a Japanese saw that I repaired.

The problem is the damned thing is a slide throttle like an Amal .They don't even list who made the carb on my IPL .

Ooh so many conversations at once .Try MFG supply ,might work or something from a Lawnboy mower which used remote primers .Worth a shot if nothing else ,

The problem is the damned thing is a slide throttle like an Amal .They don't even list who made the carb on my IPL .

Kiortz (sp?) which is now Echo made that carb for the FS 80. It is a whole different animal as far as carbs go. Now that I think about it Koriwitz made the whole engine or possibly the whole machine for Sthil because I remember a label on my old one saying it was made in Japan and this was back in the 80's. I used to have one and had the same problem only it sucked air instead of fuel. I by passed the primer like Burnham suggested . It took it a little longer to get it started but eventually it fired .

The 4112 number is correct. If your interested I have new carb gaskets , cylinder gasket, one piece fuel line and filter that goes to the tank and what looks like new crank seals along with other misc small stuff for an FS 80. I was going to sell this stuff to my neighbor who found a FS 90 but the carbs are different so I hung onto the stuff.

Nice call, Larry. That is the saw that I picked up one of those pumps for, Kioritz. The pump is still available here..

If it's Kioritz then check with a stocking Echo dealer (not just the retailers with no parts). They may be able to match it up. It's a common type part since the ethanol in gas eats up all the older style primer bulbs.

I picked up a primer assembly, but the nipples were to small for the fuel line. I by passed it straight from tank to carb, started up and ran pretty good. Put the blade on to try it and won't start. I'm going to take the carb off, can't remember if I cleaned it or not, so a second time won't hurt.

Also, I need to make an air filter, it was disingrated. I have something in there now, but can anyone recommend a household item that works good?

You can get small fuel line and kind of make "bushings" out of it .In other words stuff a little piece of it inside the larger tubing . It helps to use a hair drier or some source to heat to warm the tubing a tad bit . Hillbilly chainsawoligy 101 .

Thanks Al, I liked that idea so much I used it and it worked. Stole some fuel line from the over flow, that fit tightly, then I used the new fuel line and wiggled it over. Perfect!

Now that the primer is on, it started nicely. It's still a little finicky, going from running great in between sounding starving. I made an air filter from a white scoring pad, then added a layer of rag in between and that made it run better. There is one adjustment on the body, and one on the carb slide.

I still think a paper coffee filter will do a better job than the rag filtering out smaller particles, and it won't get destroyed from heat or moisture.

Do you suggest all by itself, or wrapped around the pad I have in there. I plan on getting a real filter once I can get it running right, I just don't want to throw money at something that might not work.

The scouring pad is a good idea to give you the thickness needed, I was suggesting the coffee filter instead of the rag to catch the fine particles.

I've done the hose wiggle trick that Al suggested. I seem to recall adding a little superglue in there as well. i don't think that gas dissolves it.

Back